Sealed evidence from the Byron Sonne trial

11 Responses to “Sealed evidence from the Byron Sonne trial”

1. hymenopterid says:

“Why don’t you trust cops?”  –Something a Davis cop asked me after he saw me walk down a different street to avoid him.

2. bzishi says:

It is good to know that there are police like that that protect people from terrorists wielding potato guns and thermocouples.

‘If he didn’t do anything wrong, why wouldn’t he give me his name?,’
    said officer Euane Simon. ‘An ordinary person would not be that defensive.’

Grade-A police work there. But next time it would be easier to simply ask “Are you a terrorist?” If they answer yes, then arrest them!

3. Watch out for that guy! I heard that he can construct things. Sheesh.

4. joeposts says:

The G20 security squads saved us from Byron Sonne, a rich, retired, Harper-voting computer nerd with a lot of time on his hands; a mentally ill survivalist who probably didn’t even know the G20 was going on; and last but not least, a group of LARP players with dangerous harmless weaponry. And then they let people smash up the main street. Whee.

Then we elected a guy who argues for more and bigger mass arrests. Great.

• Warren Grant says:

But the point was to not only *let* people smash up the main street so they could justify all of that heavy handed (and illegal – they arrested people under a law that didn’t exist) police presence, but in fact to encourage it apparently since there were undercover cops posing as violent protestors and the police deliberatelly left several police cars in a location so they could be demolished.
      The high cost of the security for the G8/G20 was really just to justify buying all the riot gear handed out to the police, and to give police from across the country some experience in suppressing the Canadian public – no doubt with an eye towards future protests over the actions of the Harper Regime.

5. ydereky says:

Reading this makes me seriously wonder what those cops would think in my house. While a regular normal looking Victorian home … Plenty of fancy thermometers and chemistry set looking glassware. Home charcuterie supplies in the root cellar. Encrypted computers attached to an old proxim symphony wireless network that nobody would understand. Ah, and the high velocity high capacity ping pong ball cannon in the garage.

• TWX says:

Hey.  I saw, “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert,” I know what kind of damage* a high velocity, high capacity ping pong ball cannon can do…

(* to a man’s soul)

6. cservant says:

‘If he didn’t do anything wrong, why wouldn’t he give me his name?,’ said officer Euane Simon. ‘An ordinary person would not be that defensive.’
    “If he didn’t do anything wrong, why wouldn’t he identify himself as a cop? An ordinary cop on the beat would not be that defensive.”

See what I did there?

7. howaboutthisdangit says:

“My belief is he’s very intelligent and can construct things very well…”

Once upon a time those qualities were considered admirable, now they are a reason for suspicion and fear.