Adam Savage's Maker Faire 2012 Talk: Why We Make

9 Responses to “Adam Savage's Maker Faire 2012 Talk: Why We Make”

1. David says:

Huh… Watching “Mythbusters,” it always looked like Adam’s hat had a wider brim than the one Harrison wore in the movies… Is this an optical delusion, or did Adam tweak the proportions for better sun coverage?

• penguinchris says:

Well he did say that the hat makers saw him wearing their previous, less-correct model on the show and contacted him about making their accurate one for him.

But I think what you’re actually referring to is the hat he wore even before that one – the one he wore all the time in the early seasons of the show. It’s a brown wide-brim felt hat but the resemblance ends there – it’s more like an Australian outback hat.

Since a few years ago, other than when they do Indiana Jones or other movie myths he doesn’t regularly wear a hat on the show.

That said… looking at this particular hat in the video, it does feel like it has a wider brim. But… I happen to have a “Raiders” poster hanging in the room with me right now, and it actually appears quite correct. I’d guess Ford’s differently-shaped head and face and the rest of his costume (particularly the leather jacket) makes the proportions appear different.

2. The link to Adventure Built Hats is incorrect.
    Currently it is http://www.adventurebilthats.com/i but it should be http://www.adventurebilthats.com/
    I.e. the letter ‘i’ is appended to the correct address.

3. Rich Keller says:

Hell, yeah! What he said!

I really, really needed to see this when I did.

Thanks.

4. Compwalla says:

We were there! Front row!  It was a lovely talk and we really enjoyed his appearance. Maker Faire all-around was a great time. My son came home and immediately disassembled three flashlights so he could mess about with their innards.

5. Pathduck says:

“Because I want to be Han Solo!”
    Yeah! Me too! :D