Blindside, a new "3D audio-only adventure game" for iOS

25 Responses to “Blindside, a new "3D audio-only adventure game" for iOS”

1. totally80s says:

Xeni, I’m not a dabbler in video games or smartphone apps but this game has aroused my interest, though it looks like it won’t work on my iPod Touch – in the meantime I’ll just have to plug in my ear buds, turn on some Pink Floyd, turn off all the lights and wander around my apartment in darkness. It might make for good entertainment until Blindside is updated for iPod

2. Amorette says:

I may have to break down and buy an iPhone or iPad for this!

3. einsteinatthemall says:

this looks likes fun and scary. I’m wondering if blind people will be offended a little by the name. What if there was a game for deaf people called Deaf Jam? I’m not sure what the level of offense would be taken

• This is Aaron Rasmussen, one of the developers, and we’ve thankfully had a very positive response from the blind community. And so far (fingers crossed) no complaints on the name. I also cheated a little and ran it by my uncle, who is blind.

• einsteinatthemall says:

I would imagine there’s quite a huge market for adventure game apps designed with the blind, deaf and otherwise disabled in mind. I noticed this app is $2.99 – do any of the profits go to charities for the blind? A simple app such as this would be a great way to raise money, for say the Special Olympics or Books for the Blind. Just an idea

• To be honest, we have no idea how big the market is. We just wanted to make something cool. Originally, we considered trying to give it away for free to blind users, but it wasn’t really possible on the app store. Instead of giving to a charity, we just priced it very low so it’s accessible.  If it’s successful, we’ll be able to do a bit more in that regard if we come out with a sequel.

4. qwerty says:

Papa Sangre did it first, over a year ago. That was a great game, too – cool environment, great audio, fun puzzles.

• Murphy's Lawyer says:

I immediately thought “Nightjar”, checked out iTunes, and found it was made by the same company that did “Papa Sangre”.

• Yes! And it’s worth mentioning the hilarious “The Pit” as well, they did a marco-polo type game even before Papa Sangre. Before those there were much simpler audio games.

5. E T says:

I hope women have more interesting roles in the game than “girlfriend” to “professor”…

• Originally, we wanted to make both characters playable, but with so many lines of dialogue, and the fact it’s an indie game, it was unreasonable to pursue. Fortunately, we think she’s a pretty cool character.

6. dioptase says:

I’ll have to play as blind and deaf as I only have an Android phone.

7. Michael Kent says:

Sadly, from the website: For iPhone4s and iPad2+ only.  Le Sigh.

8. Jon Dean says:

Am I doing something wrong? I love the idea of this game, but I can’t get the damn slippers at the very start – whether in turn or tilt mode, I can’t turn!

• Jon Dean says:

I’ve been spinning around with my eyes shut like a moron for 10 minutes now and the hints still say that the slippers are on my right.

• Glad you like the idea! The tutorial locks out all controls except the ones you need for that part of the tutorial. You can skip the whole tutorial by hitting the hint key in the center of the screen as soon as it starts. You’d have to restart the game by doing new game/confirm new game from the menu screen which will show up if you restart the app.

• Jon Dean says:

It turns out my problem actually stemmed from using Bluetooth headphones. I switched to regular wired headphones and everything works fine now. I also discovered that when I had been using Bluetooth, several of the audio cues hadn’t played, so I had been missing out on some guidance that helped me progress.

It’s a niche problem, to be sure, but maybe it’s worth looking into.

• Thanks for the heads up on that! Definitely the first time we’ve seen it, but I’m sure you’re not the only one to use Bluetooth headphones. We’ll look into it!

9. phirate says:

UPDATE: It turns out the Apple Store presents a rather confusing view of compatibility with regard to this application. Nonetheless the issues I experienced as outlined below do NOT represent the game as it is expected to be played, my iPhone4 is not sufficient to play the game. Thanks to Aaron for clearing that up.

Bought it, tried it. The idea was great but the implementation leaves a great deal to be desired.

Rotating in place generated constant collision sounds with things around me, audio clipping meant that in some cases it was trying to tell me about a door, a bed and a wall all at the same time even though I wasn’t moving, cutting out over each other and making it impossible to listen for the directional cues such as the dripping tap in the kitchen (not to mention infuriating me).

I found the slippers, gave up trying to find the matches after finding myself in a collision-clipping nightmare somewhere near a window.

In addition, various other parts seemed buggy – starting a new game resulted in a long pause before it started with no indication of what was going on.

10. Manny says:

So, when do we get our audio-only FPS?

11. CH says:

Aaaaaaaaa… Triffids!!!!!

• Michael T. Astolfi says:

Hi there!  I’m Mike Astolfi – the other developer on the game.
      Wouldn’t it be neat if we had included a Triffid easter egg somewhere in
      the game… ;)

12. Wow, I really wanna try this. Work so much on the computer and have screen-fatigue, and this seems interesting and really get the inner pictures fired up!

13. JMoney says:

Your torch blows out. It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.