CPU Wars: Top Trumps with CPUs

11 Responses to “CPU Wars: Top Trumps with CPUs”

1. inkfumes says:

I like this… I could use a set of these in my digital media classroom.

2. Quiet Wyatt says:

You think your Commodore 64 is “really neato” –
    What kinda chip you got in there, a Dorito?

3. Glen Able says:

I’m no CPU expert, but I wonder if this set of cards would suffer from a playability issue.  That is, since CPUs tend to get better in every category over time, you wouldn’t have the skill component where you learn which of the categories for a particular card is unusually strong/weak.

To illustrate the point, I’d say the Athlon shown above beats/equals the PowerPC in everything, although it depends on how you interpret “better” for some of the fields – I’d say the 65nm is better than 90nm despite being numerically smaller.  Not sure about the die size, though!

And I’ll just include this, in case it tickles any other middle-aged reader’s nostalgia bone.

• ymendel says:

I believe the arrow to the left of the category name indicates whether higher or lower is better. If that’s true, the PowerPC beats the Athlon in three categories: Introduction Year, Die Size, and Max TDP. They tie in Data Width, and the Athlon is better in the four remaining categories. Not a bad match-up.

4. Paul Renault says:

I’m disappointed that there’s no Intel 4004 card – at the very least for historical reasons.
    It could be the equivalent of  ‘Enchanted Bunny ‘ or ‘Small Rock’ inMystic Warlords of Ka’a.

Still, I ordered it.

• harrymylo says:

Hi Paul, thanks for the order! I didn’t include the 4004 because although it was the first microprocessor it wasn’t used in what we would now call a desktop computer. I would like to add it in a later version if I manage to get a hold of one.

5. MythicalMe says:

A bit outdated. AMD has introduced chips, called APU’s that put the GPU on the same chip as the CPU. I was going to use an APU in my latest machine, but decided that a 6 core Athlon 2 was better suited to my needs.

6. atom says:

here is an interview of the game creator, Harry:
    If you want to see what the game looks like, Harry donated a couple decks to London Hackspace (if you’re around that is)