Peckniffian cant banned in Parliament

16 Responses to “Peckniffian cant banned in Parliament”

1. Pedantic Douchebag says:

Interesting. I thought a “cant” was a language, I didn’t know it was also an insult:

• Charlie B says:

Correct.  Read it in context; one may not accuse another of “ruffianism” or “pecksniffian cant”.

2. Sounds like a blanket ban on accurate descriptions…

• Yeah, I was just thinking that. How is “Pecksniffian cant” not an eerily precise description of Thatcherism? And how, if at all, is it an inaccurate description of both the Tory and New Labor politicians who suck up to Rupert Murdoch? In the west, at least, Pecksniffian cant is all that you can find in Murdoch’s press and in his “news” broadcasts.

The next thing you’ll tell me is that it’s rude and inappropriate to refer to various US congressmen and ‘women as Randroids or as Redneckistani Taliban. Political correctness, I call it, up with which we shall not put.

3. Moriarty says:

But he’s allowed to call himself “Ed Balls?”

4. David Carroll says:

In Canada “fuddle duddle” was ruled unparliamentary in 1971.

• curgoth says:

And today you have Trudeau the younger getting in hot water for swearing in Parliament twice. Though to be fair, I’d have trouble keeping a civil tongue were I presented with Peter Kent myself.

5. Mordicai says:

You can’t say “blackguard” but you can get around that by using the original term, “antipaladin.”

6. AlexG55 says:

My favourite Parliamentary rule is that one member is allowed to call another a chicken or a sheep but not a pig…

7. bingobangoboy says:

Well, the Prime Minister is a bit of a cant himself.

8. starfish and coffee says:

The language of the Travelers is sometimes referred to as Cant – and sometimes it’s called Gammon. TBH I haven’t read the article thoroughly enough to know when the word ‘cant’ was banned, but you could argue that if you use ‘cant’ as an abusive epithet you are getting into intolerant territory.
    ‘Pikey’ has recently become formally recognised as a racially abusive word in UK workplaces.

• Charlie B says:

“Traveler” is the new politically correct epithet for the people we used to call “Gypsies” on the mid-atlantic coast of the USA.  It’s a bit more accurate since it captures the essential character of a roaming family, whom everyone suspects of dubious morals and thievery, but who almost certainly have no connection to Egypt, and probably aren’t even Rom.  Ours speak American and do not mix with the Mexican migrant workers.

• Xof says:

This is the perfect time to bring up my absolute favorite crime for which one could be transported to Australia: Impersonating an Egyptian. (That is, pretending to be a Gypsy so one could tell fortunes and other things that only Gypsies were allowed to do.)

• Jayarava says:

To be fair “Gypsy” is what they called themselves; and the fact that they hail from Rajasthan rather than Egypt is relatively recent discovery based on comparative linguistics.

9. “Hypocrite”–well they can’t be using that word, because they all are, so it’s sort of lost all its power.

10. B E Pratt says:

Uh, you ARE going to correct that headline…..right? [psst: you're missing an 's']