Support Tom the Dancing Bug and receive untold BENEFITS and PRIVILEGES by joining the brand new INNER HIVE right now!

"$9.99 every six months to support one of my all-time favorite comics. Boom, done." -John Gruber, Daring Fireball, INNER HIVE member since four weeks ago Discuss

36 Responses to “TOM THE DANCING BUG: Obama Sparks Creationism Controversy With "Evolution" of His Gay Marriage Position”

1. Mandatory Gay Sex for everyone? I knew it! Knowing my luck, I’ll be paired with John Boehner.

2. Ha ha ha, he said Boehner  : )

3. benher says:

More Americans should listen to Jacque Fresco

4. gjk says:

Do you mean there wasn’t mandatory gay sex already?
    Err, excuse me Mr. Boehner, there’s been a mistake…

5. gtrjnky says:

I’m anxiously awaiting the Obambi’s herbal evolution .

6. fbxl5 says:

I would like to comment but, my opinion on this cartoon is still evolving.

7. irksome says:

Political expedience? Sure, but anyone paying attention should have noticed Obama’s ordering the Justice Dept to stop defending DOMA cases.

‘Cuz that’s kinda telling, y’know?

8. franko says:

politically expedient or not, i’ll take it.

9. cleek says:

good liberals know to always minimize their victories.

• Navin_Johnson says:

War, economy, and health first, and then we can go after social victories.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Is that a Confederate slogan?

• Navin_Johnson says:

Why would you say that?  Obama says that he’s for a lot of things. Talk is cheap, and people are struggling with issues that are frankly more important. I guess I don’t see what the big victory is…

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Why would you say that?

Because it’s exactly the kind of rhetoric that politicians use as an excuse to continue denying second class citizens their human and civil rights.

• Navin_Johnson says:

They say that we should focus on universal healthcare, ending the wars, making the wealthy pay their weight?

Surely you’ve engaged in a new form of Godwinism.I guess “politicians” = Bernie Sanders?I think not allowing gays to marry is indeed a civil rights issue, but I don’t think it’s the most important one.  Sorry.  And that’s the problem with liberals, especially comfortable ones that only care about their specific issues.  I will argue with anybody who’s against gay marriage, but I’ll also tell proponents that “liberals” should be concentrating on more important issues that hurt ALL citizens, particularly the huge population of Americans, gay, straight, black, white, brown, and so on that are increasingly struggling and falling into poverty.

Forgive me if I’m not impressed by liberal “victories” like gays being allowed to fight in endless wars for the wealthy, or that the President was forced by a gaffe to admit (we already knew anyway) that he thinks it’s ok if gays get married.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I’ll be comfortable when I have equal rights. Until then, I’ll continue screaming and throwing things. Thanks for dismissing other people’s struggle for equality.

• Tess says:

It’s amazing how many things are “more important” to you when you’re not in the minority in question.  Have you thought about that?

For some of us, the question of whether or not we’re allowed to be full citizens is just as important as whether or not we get health care.  And, in case you weren’t aware of this, they’re somewhat related issues.
            I just love hearing “there’s no time for your equality, the problems I think are important are too important” arguments.  They’re awesome.  And you’re going one better, telling people to stop focusing on something that is probably pretty important to them personally so that they can do what you think they ought to.  Well done there.

Interesting analogy: telling everyone not to support the kid getting beat up by the bully, because it’s more important to overhaul the public education system, and, after all, that would help the kid getting beat up by the bully.  Do you see a problem with this?  Have you considered that the pro-gay liberals are not actually most of them?  That the people pushing for marriage equality are by and large either queer themselves or the friends and family members of queer people?  This is not an abstract issue for most of us.

I promise not to tell you to stop protesting against war.  I’m a fan of that.  But quit telling my allies to stop standing up for me, will you?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

For some of us, the question of whether or not we’re allowed to be full citizens is just as important as whether or not we get health care. And, in case you weren’t aware of this, they’re somewhat related issues.

Seriously, the density – it burns.

A lot of gay people don’t have health care because they don’t qualify as spouses for insurance purposes. And gay couples pay $4,000 to $6,000 extra in taxes due to not being married. That would pay quite a few health premiums.

• Navin_Johnson says:

If that’s what you heard than you’re surely missing the point.  The country and the majority of its citizens can crash and burn but at least Obama said “He’s ok with gay marriage”……  What a victory!!!.  Let’s tally up all the other inspiring things that Obama has said that have amounted to diddly, or were just outright contradictions of what the administration has ended up doing in practice.

Yes exactly!  That’ what I’m pointing out…  everybody else be damned..

I promise not to tell you to stop protesting against war. I’m a fan of that. But quit telling my allies to stop standing up for me, will you?

I want them to stand up for you (I will too), and not be so myopic about civil rights and social justice, or to talk about non-existent “liberal” victories.

Bell Hooks alludes to what I’m getting at here, although I disagree with her about the “health” of marriage as an institution.  What a massive number of people we’d see out marching with us if all these “liberals” cared about social justice, and civil rights for *everybody*.

• mistercat says:

Which is just how marriage works… I’m sure that once Newt Gingrich is powerful, rich and healthy, *then* he’ll start being faithful.

• llazy8 says:

Wait, I need to get you on speed dial so I can check what my priorities are with just the touch of a button.

• Tess says:

Yes, fix everything for the people who already have all their civil rights.  The rest of us are totally content to wait…  until you see fit to grant us equality or however it is you think it’s supposed to work.

• Navin_Johnson says:

Yes, fix everything for the people who already have all their civil rights.

Like the endless amount of poor black people that are in prison but should not be?  How are their “rights” working out?  How about the right to not be hungry?  The right to be not so scared of the doctor’s bill that you neglected getting that mysterious pain checked out?  How about the right to get your teeth worked on before they need to just be pulled out?  How about the right to live in the inner city without enduring such poverty and violence that as a child you see that *700* of your fellow children have been shot in ONE year?  How many will never live to be old enough to enjoy a straight or same-sex marriage?

It works by people (like couples and the ACLU) taking states to court, which is what you see happening now.  It has nothing to do with Obama being painted into a corner and forced to acknowledge gay rights because it’s favorable for his campaign donations.

• jondean says:

This isn’t a zero-sum game. A president finally acknowledging my humanity and right to equality is a good thing that should be encouraged, and we can still work on all the other issues at the same time. It’s not particularly productive for people to shout “well, what about THIS issue?” after each positive step without first affirming that good has been done.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Nice. Pitting rights for gay people against rights for black people. When you start spewing the same crap as right-wing operatives, you’ve lost all credibility.

10. MattAtDoyle says:

Seems like a clear case of Electile Disfunction.

11. UncaScrooge says:

I was sure that this was a case of Intelligent Creation.

12. Jason Carl says:

Even if we concede that Obama’s statement in favor of same sex marriage was political, I’m still pleased that the US is finally perceived to be a place where such a move is considered politically prudent.