New York City mapped by rappers' origins

23 Responses to “New York City mapped by rappers' origins”

1. angusm says:

I’m shocked to see Lower Manhattan so under-represented. Are there no gritty hardscrabble gangstas growing up on the mean streets of the Financial District? More to the point, this also confirms that my Loisaida neighbors who rap noisily to themselves as they walk down the street are simply wannabes, and not incognito rap celebrities.

• awjt says:

All I listen to is Wall Street Gangster Rap.  Oh and a little Soho Gangster Rap thrown in too. I have my intern download new songs from the Apple Store while I’m over picking out a fine Chardonnay and a sack of mussels from Dean & Delucca.

• kgb says:

Listen to some Action Bronson: “But I’m known to eat expensive lunches/From the farm right to the table/Aired straight right to the plate I doubt you could relate/Figs at the peak of their ripeness” & “About to cop the crib furnished/Wood burning brick oven shit with the furnace/Quattro formaggi/Big plate look like a lobster collage”

2. peterkvt80 says:

How many of those names do you recognise could be a good test of something, but I’m not sure what. My score was 10.

3. awjt says:

That’s right, to hell with Jersey

4. malindrome says:

Interesting how Brooklyn essentially ends in Flatbush.  No rappers from Bensonhurst?

5. gizzardface says:

Where are the Beastie Boys?  I thought they were from New York

• Quiche de Resistance says:

MCA is from Brooklyn, he’s on there.  I know Ad-Rock is from Manhattan, I think Mike D too.

• penguinchris says:

Anyone who has listened to Licensed to Ill knows this, of course, because they mention that in several songs :)

6. James Pascaleff says:

I didn’t realize so much of Wu-Tang clan was from Staten Island

7. Quiche de Resistance says:

“I can’t stand how they try to put in Staten Island just off the tip of Manhattan, like if they’re pretending Jersey isn’t way closer.  I know it’s an inset, but still.”

“I know, so awful but what do you expect from a place with the north-south grid thirty degrees off true north!”

-New York rapped by mappers.

• Quiche de Resistance says:

“Ayo, JFK aint in Brooklyn, and this street grid like all wobbly n shit.”

“Ease up bitch, ain’t no muhfuckin cartographer!  That shit freehand!”

-New York mapped by rappers.

8. knappa says:

I had no idea that Tupac was from Central Park.

9. Robert says:

OK, so I see someone’s name in Bayside. Seriously, a rapper from Bayside? Nope, he’s from South Jamaica along with 50 Cent, his name is just in the wrong place. Whew!

10. Rosin Ffield says:

LoLoL -that’s reall cool & funny

11. Slant says:

Zoom out a bit, add Chuck D, then republish or this map will be destroyed!

12. Itsumishi says:

I know that Tupac was born in Harlem, but  it sure seems odd to have what is pretty much the face of the West-coast side of the East-coast-West-coast hip-hop rivalry on that map.

13. Alexander Hu says:

Yeah the problem with thinking so NYC-centric and chopping off the rest of Long Island like it’s a rotten limb is that you leave out icons like Rakim, Chuck D/Flava Flav, and De La Soul. Show some love for Strong Island!!