The practical side of the transit of Venus

15 Responses to “The practical side of the transit of Venus”

1. Rich Keller says:

The transit  of  Venus is cool, but I keep  thinking it has something to do with Anaïs Nin taking the cross-town bus.

2. xzzy says:

It amuses me that there’s places out there still using CDE.

I guess it could be FVWM too, which is still amusing, but not quite so much.

3. Senor Schaffer says:

Why don’t you think I will live to be 141 years old? Pretty presumptuous.

4. EH says:

Transit…HUH
    Of Venus, y’all
    What is it good for?

• Wreckrob8 says:

Disregarding any directly scientific benefit the transit of 1769 resulted in the cessation of hostilities between European powers, allowing passage through their adversaries’ territorial waters, as they sent missions all around the globe to observe the phenomenon in as many places as possible.
      That’s one good thing.

5. relawson says:

It’s pretty much awesome that tomorrow is also my bday.

party!

I’m going to build this to watch it! hopefully the weather cooperates http://www.transitofvenus.org/docs/Build_a_Sun_Funnel.pdf

6. CH says:

Note, that for the Eastern Hemisphere the transit is during the morning on Wednesday the 6th.

7. NelC says:

Looks like the UK sky will be solid cloud on Wednesday morning, which is a shame, as I have to be up before dawn anyway. *sigh* Oh, well, I didn’t really need any more intimations of mortality.

8. edgarhjelte says:

We don’t need the singularity. Aubrey de Grey says we’ve got good odds to live to be a thousand, and he’s got a cooler beard than all of us combined, so he should know.

9. PrettyBoyTim says:

I’d have to get up at 5:00am to see it. I don’t think I can be bothered. I did watch it in 2004. I suppose it’ll be pretty much the same.

10. teapot says:

Hey Maggie I just found out about this project to crowd-source the measurement of the Astronomical Unit through observation of Venus crossing the Sun and geo-tagging via Twitter – all automated to go live on their site. They are looking for participants and I thought it might be something the Boingers would be interested in.

11. The planet’s science and astronomy communities will have all available instruments trained on this rare event.  All of them busily collecting data, computing algorithms, carefully tabulating results…and that is when they attack our blind side.