Achievement: humorous indie gaming vignette!

9 Responses to “Achievement: humorous indie gaming vignette!”

1. technogeekagain says:

Hrrrm. This is having the same trouble I had with the early SecondLife driver:  it recognizes left-arrow, but not right-arrow. Odd.

2. xzzy says:

To be fair, from a longevity standpoint, pulling weeds seems like a much more reasonable job than dealing with what was going on in the background.

Shame about that foot though, the plan almost worked.

3. ZikZak says:

“If you can bring me 10 wolf pelts, I will give you a powerful sword!”

MOTHERFUCKER I AM YOUR ONLY HOPE AGAINST TOTAL DESTRUCTION AT THE HANDS OF LORD BADDINGTON.  GIVE ME THE GODDAMN SWORD AND MAYBE WE WON’T ALL DIE.

• chenille says:

On the other hand, I have run into NPCs selling swords in the middle of burning nightmare dimensions. They seemed fine, so maybe they can risk sticking to free market principles.

• ZikZak says:

Game design critics sometimes point out that most games have us interact with the world almost exclusively through violence, because combat is an easy thing to simulate: either something is trying to shoot you or it’s dead.

Now that I think of it, the same is true of the use of the “free market” in games.  Either you’ve got the rupees or not, end of story.  Funny to think that programming laziness could be what biases our games toward hyperviolent capitalist fantasies.

• rrh says:

They have clear ways of measuring how well you’re doing. How many X have you killed? How much money do you have? There’s always something you’re collecting, the more you have, the better you’re doing.

I think most games that get outside that metric end up being more open-ended or sandcastle games. Consider SimCity or Minecraft.

4. Scrotch says:

fortunately another dragon will spawn in five minutes so the whole thing can be repeated again ad nauseam

5. travis swain pendlebury says:

i couldn’t pass the flower pulling part. i never had the knack for gardening.

6. Paul Renault says:

I particularly like the binary trees!