Mind Blowing Movies: Village of the Giants (1965), by Peter Bebergal

17 Responses to “Mind Blowing Movies: Village of the Giants (1965), by Peter Bebergal”

1. CraigDanger says:

I stumbled across this on some deep cable channel a few months ago and was riveted.  Young Ron Howard as the annoying little brother.  And O Mickey!  Toni Basil as one of the teen girls!  (Admittedly, I ran to IMDB while watching it because I kept going, “that girl looks SOOOO familiar!” but could never place her).

It was a swinging good time, and just beats you over the head with a “power corrupts” cautionary tale.  It is certainly time better spent than watching/reading “Twilight”

2. TimmoWarner says:

This is the same music Quenten Tarantino used for the opening credits of Death Proof which seems fitting to me. I always watch it as the kind of movie you see on a Saturday afternoon where the film just becomes your reality and time stretches forever. It makes me feel like a kid again.

I’m glad to see what might have influenced him to use it.

3. ashypete says:

Village of the Giants followed by Mr. B.I.G’s Attack of the Puppet People makes for an awesome double feature… Both are wonderfully nuts.

4. That movie also featured a VERY young Ron Howard as the boy genius whose discovery made the giants possible.  You have to wonder if he and Beau Bridges ever talk about this one any time they get together…

5. Preston Sturges says:

“It’s not Lysistrata. I like it, but it’s not Lysistrata.”
    -Tom Servo, Mannos Hands Of Fate

6. Mike Vogts says:

And of course MST3K did a pretty good treatment of it as well. Lots of Mark McCain jokes.

7. PinkWithIndignation says:

The bare bellies and hips of the ladies. Dudes barely dance!

8. Tim McDonough says:

The sexy blonde giant is Joy Harmon, best known as Lucille the buxom car washing girl from “Cool Hand Luke.”

9. unclemike says:

I loved loved LOVED this movie when I was a kid. The local indie TV station would run the same movie 5 nights in a row and I could not get enough of it!

10. Antinous / Moderator says:

I think I’ve seen this a dozen times.  It was a staple on late night television in the 70s.  Beau Bridges is hot.

11. Gyrofrog says:

I watched it (just this clip, I mean) with the sound off. Try it

12. malindrome says:

Kids these days, with their rock-n-roll music and their gigantism!  Get off my lawn!

13. Dwen Dooley says:

One of the best MST3K riffs ever… local hanging from the bodice of one of the young rebel girls (now 50ish feet tall) and crow says “Careful what you wish for!!”

14. pjcamp says:

Saw this on MST3K.

Sucks without robots.

15. MelancholyBaby says:

another mst riff — utility pole with cross bar leans at an angle after their car plows into it: “So, Jesus was run down by a Tbird …?”

16. wilsonti7 says:

That fantastic music is by Jack Nitzsche, who, among other pieces, also did the arrangement of the chorus in “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”. He’s someone who shaped the musical world we live in, but never made it to mass awareness. Look him up.