Napalm girl's life and times

15 Responses to “Napalm girl's life and times”

1. For some reason I’ve always linked this iconic photograph with the dastardly massacrious deeds of Lt William Calley – it’s a difficult image to behold. Nice to know the subject managed to overcome the odds and create a life of her own in these modern times. She must be well into her 60s by now

• Sean McNabb says:

She is 49 you  you twerp whan do you think the Vietnam war was. Read some history, you might learn something.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Lighten up, Francis. The war ended 37 years ago. It’s not any more meaningful to people who didn’t live through it than the War of the Spanish Succession.

2. cstatman says:

when will we, as a people, realize war does not work, and exists merely to feed the corporate machine, politicians and greed-heads.   What does it feed them?   the life and dreams of children.

• tré says:

I think “we, as a people” have been moving towards this realization, but even if everyone knew, guess who’s in charge of going to war? “[T]he corporate machine, politicians, and greed-heads.”

• hobomike says:

Voter turnout yesterday, here in Los Angeles County, was a whopping 17.2%. That, of registered voters. Getting it, is one thing; Doing something about it, is something entirely different.

3. E T says:

Wouldn’t “Napalm girl”  be better than Napalm girl in the heading? She’s a person, not a thing.

4. John Brooks says:

Nick is a real good guy and talented working photojournalist in LA. His brother was killed in the war and he says today in Vietnam there is very little animosity between those who used to be “enemies”  Further evidence of the  total bullshit that was the basis of that war.

• tré says:

“Further evidence of the  total bullshit that was the basis of that war.”

If anyone’s still looking for evidence that the Vietnam War was bullshit in total, there’s likely little/no help for hir.

5. Mantissa128 says:

I can’t believe this picture didn’t accompany the article. Here she is with one of her children.

• penguinchris says:

Do you happen to know the source of that image? I tried google search by image etc. but nobody lists a source.

It’s similar to a photo Joe McNally did for Life (he did a series tracking down the subjects of Pulitzer winning photos) which he wrote a blog post about on Monday, which I think is a better photo, and I think doing it in color was a much better decision. The one you posted can’t be from the same shoot because her hair is different – so it was done by someone else who simply tried to duplicate McNally’s shot!

Both are powerful images because like all photojournalism it’s really the subject that gives the image power, I just find it curious that the one you posted is the one that’s more commonly found across the internet when McNally’s is better and more honest (I think the B&W is a dishonest choice here, an attempt to make it “artistic”).

• The first photograph is by Anne Bayin, a fine art photographer. Not sure whether it was shot on film or digital.

Both images appear to be very similar in terms of post-processing.  The idea that color photography is somehow more honest than black and white seems to be a subjective distinction made with a very fine razor.

It would be interesting to know which of these images came first, but I think it’s plausible that the images are similar for other reasons.

6. Andrew Moody says:

She talks about the secret of her happiness  here (very moving):

7. Kyder Dog says:

This photo is when the war became real to me… Seeing someone my age being burnt alive by my government.

8. garyg2 says:

I saw one documentary where she was ‘reunited’ with the pilot who dropped the napalm. She was just full of forgiveness. Totally inspiring.