Picturesque Austrian town secretly cloned in China

23 Responses to “Picturesque Austrian town secretly cloned in China”

1. buddha27 says:

As an American living in Guangdong for many years, I can assure you that the authorities here would not be so keen to have an army of foreign “tourists” secretly photograph every square inch of one of their own beloved national tourist destinations and then faithfully recreate it in the middle of Kansas.

2. Scazza says:

“Secretly” as in the fact this has been reported on for over a year in the media and how they sent people to Austria to get the details right but ran into trouble with their mayor… Oh and the Photo op of the opening reported in China? Secret…

3. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Do they also have life sized cutouts of the Austrian residents just like in Blazing Saddles?

4. BarBarSeven says:

Maybe this opens a whole new market: Rebuild the town you grew up in and retire in it… In China!

5. Repurposed says:

Story seems to provoking the same crappy jokes about dodgy Asians copies and piracy.

Way to dial back the racism, internet.

• benher says:

There is no anti-Asian sentiment in this thread.

If the Peep’s Repub cared about not being the butte of jokes, they would cease producing surface copies of virtually every modern day product… but as it turns out, Kapitalist Kurrency is awesome and they know this.

Also, I find your assertion that the Internet exists to “dial down” racism to be worthy of both a chortle and a guffaw.

6. Bob Webb says:

Since when were villages copyrighted? I see no problem with some Chinese people wanting to make a replica of Hallstatt. It’s a beautiful little village.

• malindrome says:

To avoid lawsuits, I only secretly clone open-source municipalities.

• Jonathan Roberts says:

If some tourist got really lost, they might think that they were actually in Hallstatt, Austria. This would clearly represent a potential loss of income to Austrian tourism and might lead to unjustified complaints from tourists expecting snow in Guangdong.

7. 3William56 says:

Something about this reminds me of “Hyperion”. Perhaps there are cybrid yodellers in this village as part of the Chinese quest to build the UI.

8. Tim H says:

I think most people agree that it’s a good idea to have a back up of pretty much everything.

9. pjcamp says:

Reminds me of Helen, Georgia, which gave me a head rush the first time I stumbled into it.

I always had in the back of my imagination a corresponding image of a little Georgia mountain tar paper shack town somewhere in Bavaria, full of proud Germans in flannel shirts and overhauls, with Chevys up on blocks in the front yard, laundry strung out the back, and an operating refrigerator on the front porch.

Thinking about that is just like acid used to be.

10. Andy Rofl says:

Ahh yes, The Independent reported that story last year: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/alpine-villagers-bewildered-as-china-clones-their-home-2299946.html

Also see this story about Thames Town, a replica British town in China:

11. niktemadur says:

What they should really do, is a replica of “The Village” (Portmeirion, Wales, UK), surreal espionage hijinks are sure to ensue.

12. auntialias says:

Bizarre. I’ve been to Halstatt. Walked there from Bad Goisern when I was studying lettering under Friedrich Neugebauer. (back in my pre-computer days)

Halstatt (the real one) is on a very small plot of land, and the church there has an eentsy bit of land for the church and its cemetery; after something like 300 years, they unbury the bones, paint them (decoratively) and lay them in a crypt. I haven’t clicked through to read the article (because I’m just so taken by the whole thing I felt I must! comment! right! away! but that’s the thing I wonder about — if they’re going all out to replicate every little thing, will they replicate the Hallstatter tradition for burial of the dead?

13. I wonder if you can nominate other villages for replication. I grew up in a small historic neighborhood and would love to have the nostalgia available without risk of running into anyone I threw water balloons at.

14. jayson says:

Is this really so different from Disney World’s “China Pavillion” or the Venetian in Las Vegas reproducing the canals of Venice?