Artist makes clouds in gallery

25 Responses to “Artist makes clouds in gallery”

1. i dont get it; it’s a fog machine making a shot of fog. This is art?  Dont get me wrong; it is beautiful. But hardly ground breaking; this happens at my local disco every weekend…

• joelogs says:

It’s actually a real-life cloud–watch the video, its much more impressive and cloud-like than a fog machine.

• seyo says:

Read the article: “he carefully regulates the temperature and humidity of the space, ensuring that conditions are perfect. Then, he sprays a short burst from a fog machine” All this is clearly visible in the video.

It’s not a real-life cloud. To do that he’d have to open a window and convince a real life cloud to float in, and so far all attempts at that have been unsuccessful.

The difference between this and fog effects at your favorite disco is precisely the technique he uses to regulate the temperature and humidity in the room. Without which the fog would just spread out and dissipate, looking like it does at any old cheezeball club. Here, he forces the fog to bunch up and form into these cloud like shapes that are so convincingly beautiful.

• Shinkuhadoken says:

Well now, I get low and I get high,

and if I can’t get either, I really try.

Got the wings of heaven on my shoes.

I’m a dancin’ man and I just can’t lose.

• t3kna2007 says:

I think it’s cool.  The beauty is the point, and that one’s a pretty good cloud-shape.  It reminds me of the clouds I saw while out walking this morning, with daybreak just beginning to color the tops.  I hope he does some more under different (darker) lighting conditions.

(Little fluffy clouds: you might still see them in the desert.)

• Ipo says:

Were they purple and red and yellow and on fire?

• Fred Talmadge says:

Many of us like nature and have pictures of nature on a walls.  This takes a simple element of nature and puts the emphasis on it to again show us how beautiful it really is.  Very nice.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

When did we start getting comments from people who hang out at the local disco every weekend?

• Iain Bryden says:

disco?

2. Schmorgluck says:

In the mean time, online photo hosting services make galleries out of the cloud.

3. Art says:

I love that!!!

4. Susan Carley Oliver says:

Do I lose geek points if I say I saw this on Pinterest like a month ago?

5. James B says:

I was the floating soap foam from helium vented into soapy water.  This seems closer (though not that close) to real clouds.

6. jwkrk says:

I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now.

7. Very, very cool. Real cloud or no. They certainly make for lovely still shots.

8. An “artist” puts a puff of fog in the air then takes a photo before it disappears and calls it “art”. A scientist finds a way to keep it there and then calls it “progress”.

On another note. The article says the artist’s statement is “I wanted to make a very clear image, an almost cliché and cartoon like visualisation of having bad luck,”
    If this were really the case; Instead of making photographs of rooms with artificial “clouds” in them. Shouldn’t he instead be creating these “clouds” above the head of a person posing before taking a photograph?