Mind Blowing Movies: Popee the Performer (circa 2000), by Lars Martinson

18 Responses to “Mind Blowing Movies: Popee the Performer (circa 2000), by Lars Martinson”

1. When I drew this comic for the “Mind Blowing” series, I had no idea that not only would Jim Woodring be doing one, but that he’d be writing about a Fleischer cartoon! Small world!

2. zombiebob says:

I’m just waiting for someone to choose Vulgar the Clown as one of the mind bending movies.

3. zarray says:

YES! I love Popee! Kedamono is my favorite; there’s so much mystery surrounding him.

4. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was introduced to Popee years ago and could never find the bizarreness again because I couldn’t remember the name.

Yes,  indeedy, it will blow your mind.

5. Labbit says:

In the Christmas and New Year period of 05/06 I spent two weeks in Japan with my then-fiancee who was there on the JET program.  One night we had dinner at the home of a teacher from the school where she was based.  Afterwards, the teacher’s university-aged daughter produced these DVDs of something called “Popee the Clown” which we sat and watched for over an hour.

I’d watched a lot of anime before, but this was some of the weirdest, most awesome whacked out stuff I’d ever seen!  I’ll never forget my Japanese Night of Popee™.

6. Jonathan Roberts says:

Was that the troll face on 2:22?

7. pjcamp says:

Holy crap!

This is what the Occupy movement would look like on acid.

8. Stefan Jones says:

I like how they gave him (?) boxer shorts, rather than just the standard cartoon animal featureless crotch. Just that added bit of odd.

Edit: That was supposed to be in response to zarray. Posting is weird tonight.

9. elix says:

In the “Ghost” episode (the second video), the episode begins with several seconds sampled directly from Moonlit City Roa, from the Legend of Mana soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura. That game had only been published in Japan in July, 1999, so it would’ve been a fairly timely (if not well-known) little insert.

10. So the kids got to see anime Ringu before the live action one?

11. Ambiguity says:

That frog would have made a nice helicopter.

12. Kimmo says:

Does what it says on the tin.

13. snagglepuss says:

Or, David Lynch does “The Children’s Hour”.

14. I thought Popee was a woman and Kedamono was her dog.

15. miasm says:

wow. good recommendation dude.
    This boggles my mind in places I didn’t even know I had boggles.