A midcentury Happy Mutant's dining guide to New York City

26 Responses to “A midcentury Happy Mutant's dining guide to New York City”

1. awjt says:

data.   DAAAAAAATAAAAAAAAAAA aaaaa……..   *drool*

2. Bruce Heerssen says:

“Heterochromatic Fish Frieze”

Love it.

3. In Other Data, the astrological Taurus symbol appears to mean “specializes in steak”. King of the Sea has the symbols for Cancer (crab) and Pisces (fish). Trefner’s has Aquarius, probably meaning drinks, although there’s a teacup in there, so it’s probably a diner.

In Address, the numbers in the angular symbols probably means the floors up or down the restaurant is located on.

Aside from that, there’s not much inherent meaning in the letters and numbers.

4. Stefan Jones says:

Bah. They don’t have my grandparent’s restaurant:

5. The “H” column is easily deciphered. It’s hours. For example: Epicure R. is open from noon-8pm, and I’m guessing the cross means they’re a Christian restaurant, closed on Sundays. Ruby Foo’s is probably open noon-3am, and as a Buddhist restaurant (eight-spoked wheel) is most likely open every day.

6. For better clarification: the line that makes an “hour hand” shows opening time. For most restaurants, it’s noon. A few open early, at 10am. King of the Sea is one of those. The Baroque opens late, at 2pm.

The clock line then winds around. The Baroque closes at 10pm, so there’s no overlap in lines. Places that stay open late have a line that winds outside the original clock face. King of the Sea closes at about 2am, so there’s an overlap from the morning opening.

7. I agree with Robert about the astrological symbols, because “terrapin” is also written into that area of specialties for Club 21, and “koldbord” (smorgasbord) is written in for Copenhagen R. Nice catch!

8. Oh! and I just noticed that the Hickory House had great pie!

9. Madeline’s and Nino’s, too – sorry ’bout that!

10. I found a key to the Gustavademecum.  I Love Column 18.

• Gimlet_eye says:

“T: trampers, skiers, and the like admitted.” The key needs a key….

• Jonathan Badger says:

A tramper is an old-fashioned word for a hiker. According to the article, Sosman was an avid hiker and even completed the Appalachian Trail. I think he means that the restaurant doesn’t mind people dressed in informal hiking and other activity clothes, given that many restaurants at the time turned away men without coat and tie.

• Gimlet_eye says:

OK, but what’s a “skier”? I have a hard time imagining people snow or water skiing anywhere near NYC and then dropping into one of these places for dinner.

• Ultan says:

My family actually used to have a ski concession in one of the NYC parks. I’ll have to get the details.

11. jaytkay says: