Game of Thrones easter egg: George W. Bush's head on a stick

36 Responses to “Game of Thrones easter egg: George W. Bush's head on a stick”

1. UncaScrooge says:

Oooh!  I wanna be the first butt-hurt Republican to point out how outraged the Commies would be if this were Obama’s head on a spike! What do I win?

• NelC says:

A desktop version of George Bush’s head on a pike?

• Petzl says:

Without a doubt, Hannity, Michelle Malkin or some other doddering idiot on Fox is going to bring this up.

• niktemadur says:

So a few angry rednecks in Mississippi and Arizona are going to find an enabling excuse to get angrier.
        Ignore ‘em, it’s better for your mental health.

I don’t even watch Maddow and the like, they pay too much attention to whatever comes out the mouths of Murdoch’s meat puppets, and every time you hear, read or say something, you make another copy of it in your brain.  The last thing anyone needs is obscure, blathering mediocrities like Hannity, Malkin and Coulter yapping inside their heads.

2. Pedantic Douchebag says:

I feel compelled to point out that in the context of the show, having your decapitated head on Joffrey’s wall means you are were one of the good guys.

• Jim Saul says:

Or just a former head of state.

What were his house words?

“I am the Decider”…?
      “Read My Lips”…?
      “Now watch this drive”…?

• Pedantic Douchebag says:

House Bush: “We Are Not Revengeful”

• Jim Saul says:

“Fool me twice… don’t get fooled again.”

House Clinton: “I feel your pain.”

House Gore: “I told you so.”

House Nader: “Don’t blame me, I voted for Gore.”

House Reagan: “Tear Down This Wall.”

House Romney: “Corporations are people, my friend.”

House Palin: “Lipstick.”

House Cheney: “Go Fuck Yourself.”

• niktemadur says:

“I’m a uniter not a divider”.

3. Ken At Popehat says:

You know, I told George W. Bush not to trust Littlefinger.

4. NelC says:

Phil Dick’s head is running the props department.

5. Art says:

‘Been watching this one for days.  I’m still confused.

Did the producers (themselves) actually admit that it was intentionally done to look like GWB?  If so, what’s with the “we used whatever heads we had around?

• TMWaH says:

It’s common for TV shows and movies to reuse props from other productions. It wasn’t purpose-built for Game of Thrones – it was made specifically for some other project and left lying around in the prop house. They were low on time, so they jammed it on a stick. There’s no agenda here, aside from cost-cutting.

• Marc Mielke says:

Why did they have the head of GWB just sitting about?

• jgs says:

Where else would it be? Clearly he wasn’t using it.

• nowimnothing says:

Maybe created for the George HW documentary HBO was working on? But you have to figure if you need prosthetic heads for background shots, lighting tests, etc. the ones you will end up with the most of are the most popular, recognizable people.
        I imagine hollywood landfills overflowing with Bush heads form the 2000′s kind of like the infamous E.T. videogame cartridges.

6. “uuhm…there’s this rumor… on the Internets”

7. BrotherPower says:

Wow, Joffrey really does hate competition, doesn’t he?

8. Ari B. says:

Satire or no, it *is* funny.  That said, I think I’d feel differently if they did something like that with a fake head of a sitting president (whether it were the current POTUS, who I rather like, or even if it were GWB during his tenure in office).

Once someone’s an ex-president, I feel like it can’t be as easily construed as threatening or something. Maybe I’m overanalyzing.

9. Phil Fot says:

I don’t know. I kind of like it.

10. Drabula says:

Since I’m anti death penalty I can’t support the spike but would thoroughly approve of life behind bars.

• Marc Mielke says:

Considering most of the other methods of execution in the series, head chopping is positively progressive. I would note that the most well-loved, honorable, and heroic of the noblemen in the series had made a point of doing the deed himself, a la Obama and his baseball card collection.

• Kimmo says:

Well, we could wait till he dies, and then bung his head on the spike…

11. stuck411 says:

They reuse props all of the time as TMWaH pointed out. It’s one of the reasons why Kubrick had all of his props destroyed at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey. He didn’t want his work showing up in crappy shows. Remember Robby the Robot? He was cool when he first appeared in Forbidden Planet. Then the suit was used all over the place and he wound up being ‘meh’. Few movies & TV shows make everything from scratch.

12. SomeGuy says:

Mission accomplished……..

13. bigmike7 says:

The ratty, Nigel Tuffnel/Neanderthal hair is a nice touch, yes?

14. dioptase says:

The head on a spike doesn’t phase me.  What cracks me up is the hair.  Long, VH1 Behind the Scene after a bender hair.

15. humanresource says:

It takes a usurper to deal with a usurper. Three cheers for King Joffrey!

16. pjcamp says:

We call that a Texas Corn Dog.

17. Such a shame it isn’t real…