Laetitia Sadier - "Find Me the Pulse of the Universe" (MP3)

13 Responses to “Laetitia Sadier - "Find Me the Pulse of the Universe" (MP3)”

1. Tyler says:

Enchanting song. The title reminds me of the failed planetarium show Ray Bradbury wrote for the Smithsonian, ” The Great Shout of the Universe” .

2. Jeremy Mesiano-Crookston says:

I’m having weirdness with the first sentence:

“She bravely meanders all over the vocal spectrum, frequently dipping into a bit of drone or off-key oddness only to somehow catch herself before hitting a sour note.”

1) she goes “off-key” only to catch herself with a “sour” note. A sour note is an off-key note, so I’m not sure what the difference is? Also, if she “bravely” meanders, doesn’t that mean she’s purposefully going off-note without direction for effect? And if she’s choosing to go off-note, how does she then “catch” herself?

Also, a “vocal spectrum” is odd.

• AnthonyC says:

No, a sour note is one that sounds bad, an off-key one is one that isn’t normaly part of the key in which she is singing. I agree about the catching, it’s an odd way to phrase it. And a vocal spectrum is exactly what you hear – sound is a wave, after all.

• Troutbiscuits says:

No it just means “out of tune” doesn’t it? That’s what I’m hearing: out of tune… yesssss.

• Jeremy Mesiano-Crookston says:

Spectrum means light. Audible sound is generally described in a range. Not that it matters.

• AnthonyC says:

Sorry for the confusion. I’m used to physics, where anything that looks like a range of frequencies or a fourier series gets called a spectrum

3. eh, when did Stereolab break up?? They released an album like just last year, maybe 2 years ago. One of my favorite bands, and Laetitia is definitely one of the most amazing singers I know.

• A couple of years back. Not Music was sort of all the rest of the songs they recorded when they did Chemical Chords and only released after they went on their break.
      And if we’re talking about the signature voices of Stereolab, let’s not forget the late Mary Hansen – there was something special about those two bouncing off each other. Sigh.
      (I’d also grumble about the “easy listening” tag, given that they did a lot that was not… Our Trinitone Blast, for starters)

4. As I understand it, the band has been on “indefinite hiatus” since 2009. I miss them.

5. john grindon says:

I  miss them too, thanks so much for the link.

6. i do not see the link, was it removed?

• Boundegar says:

Likewise, I see an empty grey rectangle.  Disabling AdBlock does not help.  Curse you, grey rectangle!

7. KaleoK says:

This crap is almost as bad as Adele.