Looking for $21M to record an album on the moon

38 Responses to “Looking for $21M to record an album on the moon”

1. Jack Kieffer says:

If this gets funded… I am going to start a Kickstarter called “build an underwater submarine that looks like a troll face,” and say that I need to raise $20 million.  I bet these guys will just record something on Garageband and pocket the money – IT SOUNDS THE SAME AS IF YOU WERE TO RECORD IT ON THE MOON.

2. darkjayson says:

I think there bananas cos there ain’t no bananas on the moon.

3. trackofalljades says:

That’s cute and all, but that’s not even enough money for a single launch, of anything, to low earth orbit let alone the moon.  If they’re gonna make a joke, why not at least make it borderline realistic?

I can’t help but imagine this being read in the voice of Dr. Evil.

4. z7q2 says:

The moon has no atmosphere so you can get the same results recording in a pressurized metal box here on earth.

The real cool project is recording an album on MARS with robotic acoustic instruments. Microphone design alone will keep audio geeks arguing for a decade on how to do it right.

5. icastico says:

I’m in if’n a drummer is needed.

6. Eark_the_Bunny says:

In space no one can hear you er, sing and thank goodness for that.

7. malindrome says:

Some would say that the Earth is OUR moon … but that would belittle the name of our Moon.  Which is The Moon.

Point is: we’re at the center, not you.

8. trackofalljades says:

I thought Kickstarter had some kind of policy against hoaxes?  Don’t they have a curation process for how projects get posted, have their rewards structured, etc?  I guess I don’t get why they would approve this.  It’s not all that funny, and it definitely doesn’t do anything for the legitimacy of the Kickstarter brand.  I guess I’m missing something.

• icastico says:

It isn’t strictly outside the guidelines, but probably fails their definition of a project, since it is not going to “eventually be completed”. I would guess they don’t care unless someone “reports” the project.

• Halloween_Jack says:

Scroll down to the bottom for a description of who they are: “Stuff Monsters Like is a satirical blog about monster life, written from a monster’s perspective.” So, they’re a ripoff of Stuff White People Like who are doing this for publicity’s sake, I guess.

9. Just_Ok says:

Monster Cable should fund them

• s2redux says:

Except with Monster the price tag would jump 4X to $84M, and no one except the funders would believe the results. Bose could take over the project for only $63M but, despite the terrific-looking literature extolling the company’s theoretical breakthroughs, their attempt to cheat Newton’s Third Law by EQing the hell out of a massive array of 4″ “Boseter stage” rocket cones will fall horribly short.

10. Just_Ok says:

I thought Pink Floyd already did a Dark Side of the Moon concert.

11. Chris Johnson says:

Here’s a space-related Kickstarter project that actually has some life in it… $12K from 104 backers in the first 3 days, decent press coverage, and it just made it to the final rounds of a NASA small business award competition…

12. Theh4x0r says:

I’m thinking there are probably 21 million worthier causes than this.

13. BillStewart2012 says:

Reminds me a bit of Alan Steele’s short story of the concert at the Mars Hotel.

14. Dave X says:

I thought that the whole reason for going to the moon was to get AWAY from folk music!

15. Art says:

I’m sure that the Museum of Modern Art  would be chompin’ at the bit to fund such a useless, (performance) concept :)

16. Lelielle says:

I thought the Cardigans were the first band on the moon…

17. Dan Hibiki says:

I think we all know what this means. We have to build a space helicopter.

18. DIY DSP says:

Lucia Pamela recorded an album on the moon in 1969!  This wikipedia page doesn’t even begin to do it justice:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucia_Pamela

19. foslforever says:

I say 2 million people pitch in $10 bucks and we force these fuckers at gun point to go to the moon and play music.  OH then we’ll see who is laughing our asses off