Comedy and tragedy in a WWII anti-freeze ad

15 Responses to “Comedy and tragedy in a WWII anti-freeze ad”

1. Boundegar says:

They forgot the part about do not feed it to your cat.

2. GiovanniGF says:

What worries me is that if I have to choose one of those two faces for winter will I be forced to wear the other one in the summer?

3. jwkrk says:

That’s ZEREX, kids, not to be confused with ZaRex, the delicious fruit flavored drink concentrate!

4. Stefan Jones says:

You’ll also turn green and look sad if you drink the stuff.

5. chaopoiesis says:

The talking duck face.

Isn’t ZERONE the secret ingredient in all digital technology?

6. fredh says:

On the one hand, the Du Pont duck mascot is intelligent enough to wear earmuffs. On the other, he’s stuck around here instead of flying south with the flock.  Is he a rugged individualist, or is he antisocial? Maybe both. And why should I want to buy anti-freeze from a duck with those kind of values?  This whole situation is fowl.

7. Art says:

Either face would be fine as long as I could also wear that cool hat and ascot.

8. both options scare the shit out of me.

9. Matthew Stone says:

I want to wear the Linkara face.

10. BillStewart2012 says:

Antifreeze back then wasn’t always ethylene glycol – even into the late 60s a lot of it was basically methanol (with some kind of dye in it so you know you’ve bought something, and how dilute it is in your radiator.)  The boiling point’s lower than water, so it wasn’t going to give you summer boil-over protection, but it was very effective at preventing freezing.  And no, you really didn’t want to drink it.

We used the stuff in junior high school chemistry class – it was a cheap source of methanol.

11. TimmoWarner says:

Hrmm. Neither face appealing. Must investigate further.

12. Jesse in Japan says:

Is the DuPont logo supposed to be  the head of a sperm cell? Or is that just me?