The perilous world of banana slug sex

19 Responses to “The perilous world of banana slug sex”

1. chenille says:

Some fun with Latin vocabulary. Did you know that dolichophallus means “long penis”? You’re welcome.

Written in a Latin form, as scientific names typically are, but the vocabulary is Greek. Most scientific roots with ch or ph come from there.
    </needlesspedantry>

2. April Arcus says:

I don’t know about you, but I’ve definitely had girlfriends I’d chew my dick off to get away from.

3. CJohn2002 says:

This post tells me more about the sex habits of banana slugs than I care to know.

4. jimh says:

You had me at “Copulation can last many hours.”

5. paulj says:

I’m disappointed by the lack of Barry White on the sound track.

6. dr15 says:

Look at those penis eating banana slugs. Just look at them.

7. redesigned says:

they eat each other as well…not just the penises.

8. pjcamp says:

“a penis (which pops out of a pore on its head, like you do)”

The penis comes out of the head?? THAT’S what I’ve been doing wrong. Doh!

9. teapot says:

Please don’t make me just look at it!

10. The reason the “why” can be trickier is that in some sense there is no why. Living beings came to be the way they are due to evolution, and the “survival of the fittest” is really a pleonasm, reducing to “those that survive, survive, so if we define those that survive as ‘fit’ …”

So the “what” is, in a sense, all you get. The “why” is a post factum interpretation, if it isn’t just a teleological misconception. This interpretation works fine in many cases, but in some it breaks down because there isn’t really a “why” that fits. This might be one of them.

11. Beanolini says:

Banana slugs are so vanilla. Great grey slugs do all this while hanging from a tree on a rope of slime.

12. AJE says: