Google and Asus have a tablet, reports The Verge, ready to run Android 4.1; Modaco.com has a screengrab with specs: a 1280x800 display, 8 or 16GB of storage, 1GB of RAM and a 1.2MP webcam.

14 Responses to “Asus Nexus 7 tablet”

1. theophrastvs says:

wait… wasn’t there a snarky comment here previously?  i wanted to read the well considered refutation of its snarkiousness.   nuts, now i’ll never learn how to answer such untoward attacks upon our tender sensibilities.

2. penguinchris says:

I still use my Nexus One… interesting that they’re jumping right to 7 here. I guess it’s the best they can do to sound cool without using Nexus-6. Maybe they’re reserving that name for if they ever come up with a device that’s actually revolutionarily good.

Of course, one can speculate that Deckard and Rachel are actually more advanced replicants than the Nexus-6 models and thus themselves are Nexus-7 models, so maybe they are making a clever reference with the tablet’s model number ;) (though I do suspect that the tablet’s lifespan is four years or less…)

3. PlutoniumX says:

I think Nexus 7 because it has a 7 inch screen and looks to be the response to the Kindle Fire.

Damn, on submit, what Steve Mayne said.

4. wrybread says:

Those tech specs are pretty glaringly missing any mention of connectivity…

And why aren’t they making a big deal out of the things this can do that the iPad can’t? It can play Flash animations, right? Can’t they make a big deal out of that, even if it isn’t?

They’re really not doing a very good job, yet at least, of giving people a reason to buy this over an iPad other than price.

• scatterfingers says:

Flash is a slow burning bundle of pain to use on a mobile device. I don’t blame Google for trying not to emphasise slow burning bundles of pain.

• wrybread says:

Not all Flash is, only badly written Flash. And Flash has come a long way with Flex.

And this device sounds like it has plenty of CPU and GPU so it really shouldn’t be an issue.

And HTML5 still isn’t able to deliver a complete app experience (feel free to point me to an exception), while Flash is. So they could release some guidelines or starter code to have some sort of “web-based app experience” or whatever they want to call it.

Dunno. Something. As it is, I don’t see any reason on the planet to get this thing over an iPad, except to save a couple of bucks.

• Robert says:

The specs show WiFi and Bluetooth, which doesn’t mean to me GSM/CDMA. Not exactly the go-anywhere device, say, the Xoom is. I wonder why they didn’t include a rear-facing camera? I’d have thought they were like cupholders: you had to have one.

5. Steve Mayne says:

You can pre-order one on the Play store now!  I might just have done just that….

“The Nexus Effect” as my wallet likes to call it.