Rubegoldbergian light-switch cover


17 Responses to “Rubegoldbergian light-switch cover”

  1. Nylund says:

    When you have multiple switches connected to the same light, whether or not “down” represents on or off can change (depending on the position of the other switches).  That nice “on/off” label might not always be correct.  I think they have to add even more gizmos to correct for that.

  2. Just_Ok says:

    What if it’s a 2-switch circuit?

    • dragonfrog says:

      Then you need a more complex mechanism – switching one switch will move the arrow above that switch, and swap the on/off labels over the other switch.

  3. theophrastvs says:

    very nice!  now for version-2 the primary handle ought to be in the form of huge Frankenstein knife switch   …which pivots a linkage, which annoys a monkey, who turns on a fan, which starts up an OK-go vid…

  4. IronEdithKidd says:

    It would be much more attractive without the copyright burned conspicuously into the front of it. 

  5. Roy Trumbull says:

    My favorite switch plate was in a patient room at my urologist. It was a naked fat man and the switch was his penis.

  6. gadgetphile says:

    Flip it upside down so your short kids can flick the lights on and off repeatedly…

    Or maybe don’t do that.

  7. Uthor says:

    I’m not sure a level directly conencted to a switch through a simple linkage counts as “Rubegoldbergian”.

  8. Ben Burger says:

    That’s cool, I want it!

  9. enyap_ynot says:

    Here in Australia, and maybe other places (New Zealand I think), down is on and up is off. One for us would be great!.

    • Alpacaman says:

      Yes, that is how it is for your smaller neighbour too. Down being on just makes sense! Unless it is a rocker style switch, in which case, the depressed top is on. I am going to spend the rest of my day noticing light switch inconsistencies. 

  10. jackie31337 says:

    In Finland (and I suspect much of Europe), our light switches look like this:

    I’d love to see a design that would work with this type of switch.

    • Antinous / Moderator says:

      The one on the right is what ours look like in the US (albeit with a bigger cover plate), at least for those of us who have replaced them in the last 15 years.

Leave a Reply