Western US wildfires, as seen from space

18 Responses to “Western US wildfires, as seen from space”

1. perch says:

I’m chilling right here in Denver, thankfully unaffected other than it being hazy around here quite often. And red.

The entire southwest is really just ready to burst into flames. Has been for a while. These fires are going to continue to burn, and more to come, as a result of 100 years of fire suppression.

2. technobach says:

Am I the only  one who expected more red?

• perch says:

It’s intense if you’re driving anywhere near a fire at night, it truly appears as if entire mountainsides are on fire. Which they are.

3. Theranthrope says:

Between this and the year without a winter (in my local; Southern Nevada in the USA, it was warmer during Nov-Dec-Jan than it was in May and May unremarkable temperature-wise), it sure is getting Global-Warming outside…

4. Cowicide says:

I didn’t realize how much pot I smoked the other night.  My God.

5. penguinchris says:

The link needs some help.

Also: the USGS has some cooler images from LANDSAT satellites: http://eros.usgs.gov/#/About_Us/Views_of_the_News

Because LANDSAT’s sensors are not mere optical cameras you can extract various data from the imagery. They’ve highlighted the areas that are burned, and you can see in the images some of the areas that are currently burning.

6. Is this like a magic eye?

‘Brownish blanket’ pretty accurately describes the US from space on a good day, so what am I looking for here?

• IronEdithKidd says:

The whispy, darkish grey stuff at the top middle portion of the photo.

• Ooooh, that makes a lot more sense. In my defence that’s grey, not brown; so I was looking at the brown stuff (so I’d assumed the grey stuff was just clouds).

Thanks for the context!

• IronEdithKidd says:

I guess Usians are just a little more weather obsessed.  The smoke plume jumped right out of the image at me.

Xeni, if you’re reading this thread, you’re NASA link is dead.  Correct address is:  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/fires/main/index.html

• Oh, my friend, I’m British; we’re all about the weather. But if you looked at a satellite view of the UK you’d probably think the whole island was on fire (but in that case they really would just be clouds).

• IronEdithKidd says:

@NathanHornby:disqus Yeah, it rains a lot in the UK.  We get that.  Our obsessions tend to be more along the lines of “will the weather bring death with it today?” more than “when the fuck are we ever going to see the sun again?”

7. niktemadur says:

@Xeni:twitter , living in LA, you remember the 2003 Santa Anas.

• niktemadur says:

Now that’s a picture I didn’t pull out of the internet tonight, I’ve had it in a folder for nine years.
      Points of origin of fires are represented by red dots, in that particular 2003 wind event, fires generated from so many points, red dots turn into godawful smears.

8. celestegrace says:

Thanks for posting this. I can see flames from my house here in Colorado, and  I feel like images like this help to give a little context to people who aren’t directly experiencing the craziness here.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

People don’t get the scale of these things. I’ve watched fires in Southern California that were 50 miles away and I could quite distinctly see the flames leaping up.

9. BonzoDog1 says:

It’s not getting much press, but on  Tuesday someone on the Northern Cheyenne reservation in Montana dropped a match (or somesuch) and 24 hours later 172 square miles had been burned over.