33 Responses to “Now *that's* a "girls in science" video: "The Longest Time," by the Barber Lab Quartet”

1. Just as bizzarre as the EU video, but the EU video leaves you feeling ticked off. This one made me want more. I hope they do more like this one.

2. This video made me cry tears of joy! I love how passionate they are!

3. Larry says:

Me too.  I have a daughter with a PhD in Applied Science from Cornell, now a Professor of EE at Louisville.  Loved it (and emailed the link to her).

4. jwkrk says:

Simply terrific.

5. 10xor01 says:

This made my day.  Thank you!

6. You now, I usually dislike the geeks-made-a-music-video thing, and I also hate this song,  but I love this. This has just made my horrible day turn nice.  Thanks for this.

•  Who knows how much field work will go wrong?
      Maybe I’ll be sampling all year long.
      I’ll take my chances to obtain genetic samples
      And then do lab work for the longest time.

I think this is where I became smitten.

• billstewart says:

And kids, this is why we believe evolution, and how we find out more about it.

7. dcorbett says:

Great pacing on the lyrics.  Fantastic!

8. Calimecita says:

Thanks for this! It’s the perfect antidote against that crappy EU video :-)

9. gedsudski says:

So simply adorable, and valuable!  I’m going to share this with my daughter (12) who is going to be famous for SOMETHING, why not Science?? (and music)

10. bzishi says:

The reason this video works so well is because it is not a “women in science” video. It talks about the science and why you should care. And it happens to have women singing in it. There are no traditional “women in science” type recruitment or empowerment pitches in this video.

Despite all of this, a video of women singing passionately about science is probably a far more effective tool to get women involved in science than videos that ignore the science but say why women are capable of working in science. People work in science because it interests them, not because they want to fill some demographic gap.

• Martijn says:

Exactly. You don’t need people who are passionate about the idea of working in science, you need people who are passionate about science.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

That’s what differentiates it from the EU promo disaster. That video’s message was We’re girly girls and, um, science, and WE’RE GIRLY GIRLS! It could have been an ad for Barbie dolls or a phone sex line.

11. tlwest says:

Dorky lyrics?  Out of tune?  Have our standard really risen so high that if you’re not in the top .01% you’re not of interest?

I thought the lyrics were quite clever, rhyming (for the most part) quite nicely.  And if the singing wasn’t professional quality, it beats out my friends poisoning pigeons in the park (the song, that is).

12. anansi133 says:

So now Library science and marine biology have gotten the business, how many other disciplines have been covered? I’d love to see an album of this sort of theng. And then maybe a touring musical.

13. jaytkay says:

Wait, snorkeling in Indonesia is A JOB?!

That was the best music video evar, btw.

14. vrplumber says:

This trend of creating music videos is taking valuable research time out of the hands of these scientists.

Can’t we imagine a future where science can be funded without having to put on a song and dance for the ignorant masses?

Although this video was awesome, so disregard my previous snark :)

• snagglepuss says:

They Might Be Giants are soooooo jealous right now.

• Allison Fritts-Penniman says:

I appreciate your “disregard” comment, but I’d like to reply to the snark anyway.  Don’t forget that some scientists are in it exactly for this reason- to educate the “ignorant masses.”  So although I do love science for the sake of science, I consider the making of videos such as this to be important, and as valuable to the field as our research.

• vrplumber says:

I grew up watching Bill Nye, the Science Guy, so I definitly appreciate the educational aspects of science, especially when it is presented in an engaging way.

My previous comment was meant to be a joke.  I love learning about science in all its forms.  I appologize if my comment caused offence.

15. CLamb says:

This guy is smitten.  Where do I sign up?  I’m amazed that four random lab workers would all have such nice singing voices.

16. snodule says:

I like how the EU video focuses and hard sciences and the author here uses a soft sciences example of what an outreach program should be doing, without really recognizing the difference between the two.

Also, I like how any attempt at cultural understanding is absent.  They’re wrong by our standards, which makes them wrong, period.  Isn’t Norway in the EU?  Wait, isn’t their government dominated by females?  Angela Merkel, anyone?  Doesn’t the system that produced that deserve a little understanding?  Or is the arbiter here just US academics?

17. Pete Akkerman says:

This is worth accepting third party cookies.
    heh. I did the same thing when I heard the original version. I cried. ( the good kind).  You had me at “I just want to discover things”. You give me hope.

18. Scott R says:

Did she crush that newly species in her hand?

19. this is really really awesome!  Im an aquatic ecologist and i havent smiled like this ‘in the longest time’

20. Allison Fritts-Penniman says:

Thanks to Xeni for posting this and thanks to everyone for the comments!  We love that so many people are watching our video now.

21. Samantha Bail says:

Oh, how I hate Marine Biologists. First they get to play with all the amazing equipment and hang out on boats and stuff, and now they’re even popstars.

Can someone… ANYONE… please make computer science a little more glamorous? Please…? :)

22. Pirate_Prince_Navarion says:

This was AWESOME. And I bet it didn’t cost 102.000 € to make. :D

“Commenters: before you say anything mean about the fact that their homemade Billy Joel cover ditty is a little off-key here and there, or the rhymes a little dorky… that’s the point.”

Man, what the hell are you talking about? They sound way better than the EU-clip.