TV's first out news anchor Anderson Cooper explains why he's making it official: "It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true." [Andrew Sullivan] (Update: Don Lemon came out last year! And Rachel Maddow beats them both by years.)

39 Responses to “Anderson Cooper: "I'm gay"”

1. lesmanalim says:

Depending on what you mean by “first,” “out,” and “news anchor,” Don Lemon, Rachel Maddow, and likely several others might have a beef with that.

2. ROSSINDETROIT says:

I thought everyone knew Anderson was gay, and didn’t care.  I knew, and I don’t even watch TV or pay attention to the celebrities on it.

• StreetEight says:

“coming out of the closet” – Bravely revealing about oneself what everyone else had already surmised.

3. mbubb says:

So was John Wayne, you guys,  I installed two
    way mirrors in his pad in Brentwood.
    And he’d come to the door in a dress.

4. Sara Rose says:

In the great tradition of the Most Trusted Name in News, CNN will soon issue a correction.

5. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Come on Fox  News, you’re next.

6. Good for Anderson Cooper, coming out.  I think his hair gave it away.
    He looks bad-ass on TV cruising through the jungle on a boat.

7. tré says:

On behalf of anyone with anything resembling gaydar: finally.

8. Tribune says:

Hmm the ad server seems to now be serving me up gay singles in my area, also aging me by a decade for the default age choice.

9. spacemunky says:

I hear Tom Cruise is single now.

10. Leah Crenshaw-Pepke says:

I think when you’re the son of Gloria Vanderbilt, you sort of have an obligation just to BE gay! All kidding aside, I love this man and now I’m super proud of him, too!

11. Mitchell Glaser says:

When he bought an old fire station to live in (because he wanted to slide down the pole? sorry, I just had to) they showed him on TV touring it with his boyfriend, so this is hardy a surprise. The letter he wrote, which this is all about, made his reasons for waiting to declare himself pretty clear and made a lot of sense. Still, just like he said, in a perfect world this would not be news.

12. giantasterisk says:

Huh?!? I was absolutely certain he came out in the last year or two, but I don’t remember what I saw or read that made me think that. Anyone care to refresh my memory? It wasn’t the “I bought a fire house” story.

13. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

It isn’t really big news to anyone paying attention however it is important.

When you were a kid, you looked up to the stars and important people.
    If your a kid who felt different than other little kids and were looking for a role model you had a lovely bunch to choose from.
    Bewitched character Uncle Arthur – Paul Lynde.
    Wayland Flower & Madame.
    Liberace.
    The list looks like this for a while.
    Add in the other ways “your people” are reported on… in thongs in parades being outrageous.  Being called sinners by openminded bible thumpers.  Etc.

It is nice for the first time in a long time we have “out” people to look up to who aren’t overwrought caricatures of the stereotypes.  I have encountered some people who are hyper over the top “queens” in public but the volume gets turned down sometimes and they think that is the way “we” are supposed to act if we are being true to ourselves.
    It is nice to see people from all across the spectrum of life being out and proud and maybe offering hope that just because you like the same sex doesn’t mean you have to act a certain way.  That being who you are is who you are supposed to be, not some convenient easy to spot stereotype.

14. In the very near future, there won’t be any more “gay” people, “straight” people……there will just be people.
    Looking forward to it.

LOVE you ALL.

15. Andrew Eisenberg says:

Wait…I thought this was common knowledge.

Well, good for him for finally telling everyone (who didn’t already know).  It’s just unfortunate that this is even still an issue in 2012.

16. madopal says:

[TheDude]Obviously, you’re not a golfer.[/TheDude]

17. Snig says:

Here’s a gedanken:  If you were born a women, odds are would you be into kissin’, having s#x with a guy.   Half the population of the planet or so manage to get by with the kissing the guy thing.  I see you’re point in that women to me as well seem a lot sexier, but odds are, if we rolled the dice and started life again, and ended up women, we wouldn’t ALL be lesbians, aesthetically pleasing as that sounds.

18. Wreckrob8 says:

What I’ll never understand is why guys start with women in the first place. Problem solved. It would make life soooooo much easier for me.

19. joeposts says:

I know, it’s like totally gay.

20. Ipo says: