RIP, Andy Griffith

39 Responses to “RIP, Andy Griffith”

1. geekzapoppin says:

How sad. I’m a Lost Colony alum and Andy was always very supportive of the show. He was an incredibly-generous and talented man. The fact that The Andy Griffith Show is still on television nearly every day in America says something about his talent. RIP Andy.

2. He was also a  fine actor.  It’s sad that one of his earliest (and scariest) roles, as Lonesome Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd is so little known these days.   Elia Kazan’s film about politics and media is as relevant now as when it was made in 1957.

• Teller says:

Weee-oooo that’s a great film.

• B E Pratt says:

If you can find it, do check out the made-for-TV movie ‘Murder in Coweta County’ with both Andy Griffith AND Johnny Cash. Andy plays a truly nasty piece of work in this, as far from Sheriff Taylor as you can get.

• penguinchris says:

That is indeed a great film. It shows up on Turner Classic Movies once in a while (which is where I saw it). Wouldn’t be surprised if they play it this week or next (they often shuffle their schedule around when people from classic films die).

• Gyrofrog says:

Also, watch the extras to hear Andy say “fuck.”

3. Jay Kusnetz says:

And 30 years ago he had a tv series that foreshadowed today’s NewSpace companies.

4. Jason Baker says:

There’s a statue of Andy and Ron Howard in the park where I frequently eat my lunch. My guess is that it”ll be covered in flowers by noon.

5. Drabula says:

I had a great dad. If I hadn’t had him Andy would have been my next choice.

6. DreamboatSkanky says:

Andy Griffith.  This guy?  This is the guy.

7. P.F. Bruns says:

I enjoyed his work, and respected both his talent and his viewpoint.  By all accounts, he was a fine gentleman who led a good life.  May he be long-remembered.  My condolences to his family, loved ones, and friends.

8. “the words to the Andy Griffith theme”

Wait, wut?

9. Walt Guyll says:

“But don’t the trees seem nice and full?”

10. Koocheekoo says:

‎”Somewhere wandering loose around Mayberry is a loaded goat.”
     Thanks for the movie recommendation, Romeo!

11. mccrum says:

Narrator:  “No one was making fun of Andy Griffith. I can’t emphasize that enough.”

12. Ms. Anne Thrope says:

“Each Matlock may be our last.”- Simpsons
    A Face in the Crowd is a must see.
    RIP Sheriff Andy Taylor

13. jwkrk says:

A comedian and a comedian.

Sad…

14. penguinchris says:

Do kids still grow up on Mayberry these days? I did, in the 90′s, along with Leave it to Beaver and the rest, because those were the best things on TV. Now there’s so much more to watch (e.g. youtube). I know you can still find those shows on TV, so I’m not sure.

One thing’s for sure, I’ll be whistling all day!

15. jimh says:

The amount of AGS reruns I have watched probably totals at least a year of my life. Such a big part of my childhood. RIP, sheriff!

16. Geoduck says:

No Time For Sergeants is another of his early roles that’s worth seeing; sort of Lonesome Rhode’s non-evil twin.

17. franko says:

MMAAAAAAAATTTLLOOOOOOOCCKKKKKKKKK!!

/Grandpa Simpsons Voice

18. morrigan2 says:

Early Andy Griffith standup, you must listen:

• B E Pratt says:

I was hoping that you’d pick, “What It Wuz, Wuz Football” Excellent :)

• jimh says:

I remember my grandparents had an LP of his comedy routines (along with Bob Newhart, Bill Cosby, and the Smothers Brothers) back when comedy on vinyl was a thing. My grandfather got a huge laugh out of Andy, I think in part because he really enjoyed listening to someone acting like more of a hayseed than he was!

19. Robbo says:

The last time I saw Andy Griffith was at Dr. Marvin Waxman’s in Toronto where a bunch of us were enduring production insurance medical exams (different shows) this was maybe 10 years ago and while he looked frail he was still a consummate gentleman. Griffith’s best work, to my mind, will always be “Face In The Crowd” with Patricia Neal, directed by Elia Kazan, and still so frightfully prescient for today.

20. please visit Andy’s online memorial and contribute with a memory so we can make a HUGE tribute!
    please share!