Snotgobbler genealogical records

19 Responses to “Snotgobbler genealogical records”

1. Chris Drouin says:

Your link actually points to a page on the venerable Yousuck family, which only married into the Snotgobbler line in recent years.

2. bfarn says:

I had a linguistics prof, Dr. Klünder, who spent years researching his own name’s etymology.  Eventually he learned that it was an old colloquial german word meaning “A small piece of manure that sticks to the hair or clothing.”

3. Christopher says:

This reminds me of the old joke:

A man goes to the records office and says, “My name is Sydney Snotgobbler, and I’d like to change it.”

The secretary says, “I can certainly understand why, sir. What would you like to change it to?”

“Irving Snotgobbler.”

4. This is like the old NTK Widdecombe of the week, where you could make a website display funny info just by changing the URL.

I’m also reminded of the old Sayle line, “In the old days people were named after what they made; “Milliner” if they made hats, “Cooper” if they made barrels, “Thatcher” if they made people SICK.”

5. cranrob says:

The ancientfaces.com site will take any word and churn out the same text with that word substituted: http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/surname/Boingboingreader

6. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Ah, my confidence in the value, honesty, and total professional integrity of the unimpeachable genealogical records services to be gained by providing ancientfaces.com with personal information is just overwhelming now that I’ve been shown that they have a system in place to churn out vapid boilerplate for any arbitrary string thrown at them…

7. TheMudshark says:

It´s spelled “Snotgobbler”, but it´s pronounced “Throat Warbler Mangrove”.

8. Robert says:

Pity the family with the real surname of Loser (and, as I was informed by the person at the other end of the line while I was mostly successfully trying not to giggle, it’s pronounced “low-zer”)

• Vickie Kostecki says:

My brother’s grade three teacher was named Miss Gross. Perfectly normal German name, but problematic if you teach eight year olds. She swore it was pronounced with a short “o”, rhyming with “boss”. Kids didn’t go for it.

9. Baldhead says:

I believe my old sub Mr. Richard Wack wins this one. Seriously not joking.

10. Palomino says:

A scene in a movie I once watched popped up in my head: A woman or man is trying to save a baby’s life and sucks the snot up and out of it’s nose.

• timmaguire says:

Ahh…I can’t believe we got this deep in the comments before any sort of reference to the line “The meaning of Snotgobbler may come from a profession.” Probably doesn’t pay well, but no matter how much, it isn’t enough.