"A conversation with my 12 year old self" (video)

48 Responses to “"A conversation with my 12 year old self" (video)”

1. jahxman says:

I am impressed with his 12 year old self for providing so much material to work off of.

It’s funny how we forget the persons we were a long time ago; the only analogous experience for me has been finding an old story I wrote in my teens, and somehow not recognizing the voice that was telling the story, yet it was “my own” voice. I’ve forgotten that boy…

• I have the same problem. I’ve got lots of little writings from grade school and early junior high that my parents saved, including my 4th-6th grade diary. I do not recognize that little girl. What’s worse: I’m not sure I like her very much. Especially in the diary. She’s a little too insufferably pleased with herself. I apparently spent a lot of time trying to prove my own precociousness back then.

Starting somewhere around 10th grade is where I started to sound like me. And it’s easier to deal with. I can cringe at bad poetry written by 16-year-old Maggie, but by that point, I’m no longer cringing at the thoughts behind the writing.

• blueelm says:

I have the inverse. I miss that kid. She was bright. I’d say I wondered what happened to her, but I know that. Hell, I even know where she’s buried.

• jackie31337 says:

That happens to me with my daughter more than with my own memories of myself. When I think about what she was like as a baby or look at old pictures, I start wondering where that baby/toddler/little girl went. It’s hard for me to make the connection between the person she was then and the person she is now at 9 years old. I suspect things will get even weirder as she gets older.

2. Mitchell Glaser says:

Fucking brilliant. I loved all the empty booze bottle in the background, nice touch.

3. The only thing that would make this better would be if Sally Sparrow appeared.

4. Aaaaand I wrote that before the end of the video. Brilliant!

5. David Pescovitz says:

If I knew now, what I knew then…

6. zartan74 says:

Genius.

7. lorq says:

Great performances and *really* great editing.  Packs a lot of humor and meaning into a very small space.  Hats off.

• waetherman says:

I second that. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me want a bourbon. And a time machine.

8. E T says:

Wow! Why not do one now to his future self  in 2032?

9. jimh says:

Love it. Great edit.
    Makes me wish I had some video of myself at 12. But it would have had to have been shot in super 8, I suppose… sigh.

10. grs says:

Awesome.

I recently received a box of old keepsakes that my parents found in their basement. Now my girl’s get to enjoy a stickerbook with Pac-Man scratch ‘n sniff stickers even though they don’t know what a Pac-Man is.

11. Gavin Smith says:

hands down cool super coolicallity.

12. Palomino says:

An excellent example of “Precociousness”.  I would love to hear his answer when asked, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”

13. Halloween_Jack says:

Nice. I’m not sure I could stand to do something like that with anything that I’d have done when I was twelve (in part because I’m four times–four times, my god–older than that now). The closest thing that I’ve got is an essay that I wrote in eighth grade, not that long after I saw Star Wars, titled “If I Had A Lightsaber”; answer, in case you’re wondering, is murder anyone that irritated me. You could write something like that then and not end up expelled from school for life.

14. RJ says:

That’s some good video editing.

15. Sigmund_Jung says:

“I am the result of every decision you make”
    When you realize your future is in the hands of a 12 year old, you ponder.

16. Pope Ratzo says:

I would almost certainly kick my 12 year-old self’s ass.

17. bolamig says:

I think I know what the most common answer to “If you could have a conversation with anyone in the world, live or dead” will be, when the singularity happens.

18. I like how the adult Jeremiah seems totally bewildered and unimpressed by the whole thing while his young self enjoys the hell out of it. I imagine this is a commentary on how we often lose our sense of wonder and excitement when we grow up.

19. avoision says:

I recognized one of the *blips* during the montage, where the years roll by. Jeremiah is the same guy who created “Jazz Dispute,” which made the rounds many years ago:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsBC5C5ERho

• SamSam says:

Wow, now I can really see him as the 12-year-old as well. Glad to see people don’t actually change that much.

20. Ron says:

Loved it. Made me laugh out loud and also a little sad just thinking of my younger self and how I(then) might not recognize me(now).

21. hypnosifl says:

This is great, I remember seeing an earlier draft he did of the same idea a while ago, but he’s definitely fine-tuned it and made it much funnier (and more poignant!)…found the earlier one on his channel:

Also, checking out some other videos in his channel, it seems he’s been playing around with these kind of ideas since he was a teen:

22. penguinchris says:

This was great. Very touching and very well done. I wasn’t sure why he was acting so cynical at first, and that bothered me, but it turned out to be very effective and the reason why it’s so powerful (that and the perfect editing).

I was really into playing with my dad’s video camera when I was a kid. There must be many hours of footage. I can only recall two things I recorded – one my sister taped over, which I never really forgave her for, and the other is a record of me being an annoying little brat (which dramatically stopped – mostly – at age 13 or so). I’m sure I couldn’t stand to watch any old footage of myself – partly because it wasn’t even that long ago (I’m 25 now). But I’m sure I’ll be glad it exists in the future.