Why is 98.6 just right for your body but too hot for the weather?

21 Responses to “Why is 98.6 just right for your body but too hot for the weather?”

1. justaddh3o says:

TOO warm?
    hardER to make….

And I’m not even a pilkunnussija

2. Antinous / Moderator says:

Your body is happiest when the air temperature is around 70 degrees F.

Below 85° and I’m shivering.

• princessalex says:

You’re welcome to join me in Phoenix for the summer!  :D

• Paul Renault says:

Speaking for the warm-blooded species here, somewhere around 17-20 degC is good for me.

•  Something is wrong with you….or maybe you are woman….

• bcsizemo says:

I have the oppostie problem.  Above 75 and I’m sweating.  I’m happy around 50 and sunny or 60 and cloudy or breezey.

(You’d never surive my house during the winter 56 is the best I can afford.)

• penguinchris says:

I used to be almost exactly the same way, but then I moved to SoCal from Buffalo. I still sweat easily when it’s really hot, when everybody else is sweating too, but I adapted fairly quickly to normal California temperatures (even out in the desert). And now back in Buffalo, I am much less tolerant of cold.

I think most people will tell you that there’s an optimal climate for them, but in reality most people can adapt, to some degree, given enough time.

Of course your body type plays into it as well, but not as much as I thought it would… I’m kind of stocky and occasionally slightly flabby and that wasn’t a big issue in California and didn’t protect me from the cold in Buffalo after adapting to CA.

• falnfenix says:

I have yet to adapt to Baltimore summers and I grew up here.

• penguinchris says:

Yeah… a lot of people from elsewhere in the country don’t really understand how terrible summers in east coast states can be, even in non-heatwave years. The past few weeks in Buffalo it’s been as bad as Thailand in the hot season.

• SomeGuyNamedMark says:

I’ll take Alaska thank you.

• phi1829 says:

I live in Fargo. Anything above 80 and I’m sweating.

3. emo hex says:

Heard some time ago that the temperature that the naked body feels neither hot nor cold is 81 degrees.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

My baseline body temperature runs between 95.5° and 96.5°. It certainly seems to affect my need for warmth.

4. habbi1974 says:

37º C

you are welcome.

5. pdffs says:

Someone proofing this stuff?

“When the weather gets to warm, it’s a lot hard to make the heat exchange.”

Should be:
    “When the weather gets *too* warm, it’s a lot *harder* to make the heat exchange.

6. teapot says:

Can we get a browser plugin that automatically converts silly scales of measurement to sensible ones?

Ill have my temperatures in °Rø please.

7. Guest says:

Only cowardly prudish people think 98.6 degrees is the body’s natural body temperature.

All assholes know that it is higher than that…