I got an over-the-air update to my Nexus Galaxy last night, and I'm now running version 4.1 of Android, AKA Jelly Bean. My preliminary impression: holy shit, this is awesome. Fast! Like a time-lapse of my old phone with all the waiting edited out. Haven't tried the voice-search yet, but I will.

14 Responses to “Android Jelly Bean is sweet”

1. Dlo Burns says:

Ungh, jelious. My bb is crashing upon boot-up so it looks like I’ll be phone-less for about a week to a month.

2. 5up Mushroom says:

I updated my Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ to JB when it was leaked. It’s fast. Butter UI is subtle and amazing.  Google Now is mind blowing and the design changes to the overall UI are beautiful.  It’s amazing to think that a year and a half ago most of us were using, and happy with, Froyo. What a clunker that OS was in comparison.

3. digi_owl says:

I do wonder if Toshiba will even bother with JB on their AT100/Thrive…

4. Jason Baker says:

Jealous as well. Damn Droid 4. That’s what I get for being a hardware keyboard addict.

5. Ean Moody says:

I am extremely jealous. Apparently my phone is “currently up to date”. Lies.

Would it kill them to give you a “Rollout in progress, expect an update at X time” notification after you’ve pressed the button a few hundred times?

• Alexander Borsi says:

1. Clear Data from Google Services Framework Data2. Go to Software updates (note that time has reset to 1969–Groovy)3. Click Check for updates. If the update is available, it will be pulled down.
      Also this is just for the GSM version of the device, not either of the CDMA devices.

6. traalfaz says:

Hm, just got an HTC One X / AT&T – should I expect it to be upgraded for me or does AT&T not do that?  I’m new to smartphones.  Jelly bean looks pretty nice though.  I hear they really worked on the voice stuff.

• sciwizam says:

HTC and AT&T will update…eventually. Give them a couple months. Should be faster as going from ICS to JB should be easier than going from GB to ICS.

• Alexander Borsi says:

This device is not a Nexus device so the update will have to be sent out either by the carrier (AT&T) or by the manufacturer (HTC) before it will show up. That is a relatively recent phone, so it should not take too long to get it upgraded.

7. the_wakeful says:

Any word on when the CDMA/LTE (Sprint) Nexi will be getting the update? The wait is killing me!

• Alexander Borsi says:

Sprint is not part of the AOSP so it might be a while. VZW was just let back in, so I am hopeful that it will come quickly to my device.

8. JohnHinesJr says:

I’ve been sort of obsessively pressing “check for update” since I saw this post today.  I just got the notification.  It’s stupid to be this excited about a piece of software.  I guess I’m stupid.  :-)

• Alexander Borsi says:

1. Clear Data from Google Services Framework Data
      2. Go to Software updates (note that time has reset to 1969–Groovy)
      3. Click Check for updates. If the update is available, it will be pulled down.

Pass the word on to others.

9. I don’t recall Apple releasing anything called a Nexus OR jellybeans.