Comic-Con opens in San Diego

14 Responses to “Comic-Con opens in San Diego”

1. fenrox says:

I love the Video game, TV show Corporate convention! They finally got all those fuckers with those moldy old boxes of comics out of there. I really just can’t wait to pay a ton of money to desperately cram and debase myself for free crap that corporations dole out in questionable quantities. Man you know what would be the best, a fox sponsored Suicide Booth.

• retepslluerb says:

I think Angoulême  is still mostly about comics.

• fenrox says:

That looks cool, thanks!
        Really I just want the PAX model to be 100% applied to the comic con. PAX works because the focus is inexplicably on the gamers. Comic con’s focus is on the $

• retepslluerb says:

Can’t comment on that. I visited it only once, back in 1992. Looked like a regular comic convention back then, only reeaaaaally big.

• MatthewFabb says:

Many complain about the lack of comics at Comic Con, but there are lots of other conventions with just that focus. I’m lucky to live near the Toronto Comics Art Festival with lots of great indie creators with lots of great and awesome books.

However, last year I traveled to San Diego Comic Con for the first time and loved that it’s a hub of all things geeky. Of not only seeing Mike Mike Mignola, Jeff Smith, Gilbert Hernandez and Jaime Hernandez, Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham & more, but also seeing Guillermo del Toro & Joss Whedon talk. Comic book creators might not get the big halls, but they are still there with a large number of panels and I think it’s just a great mix and craziness that really isn’t anywhere else.

• devophill says:

>They finally got all those fuckers with those moldy old boxes of comics out of there.

Then who did I give all that money to? I didn’t see you there, maybe that’s because you like hanging out by the Mattel booth, or maybe waiting in line for the 20th Century Fox or the ABC Family panel?

tl;dr You’re an idiot.

2. Mary Sue says:

Oh my god, I just pitched Night at the Convention!

Done already. Kevin David Anderson’s Night of the Living Trekkies and Mira Grant’s San Diego 2014: Last Stand of the California Browncoats have been my reading this week, because if I can’t be at SDCC, I’m going to read books about everyone who *is* there getting eaten by zombies.

3. let’s not forget that Neil Gaiman announced (to Comicon, via Twitter) that he’s writing a new Sandman comic, to be released in 2013!!

4. GuyInMilwaukee says:

This however was bad planning.
    “Comic-Con Once Again Marred By Increasingly Popular Bully-Con”
    Gawd I love the Onion.

5. Michael Ellis Day says:

San Diego Comic Con uses Comic Sans for its signage?  Are they run by CERN now?

(And before anyone jumps in to “correct” me here, I do indeed know Comic Sans was partly based on/inspired by the lettering of Dave Gibbons, as seen in Watchmen and many other excellent comics.)

6. toobigtofail says:

Firefly reunion panel on TV! Now if I could just get the Science Channel by Nov 11. Guess I’ll have to wait for the online post.

7. devophill says:

>Remember that time Comic Con was about comic books and nothing else?

No. When was that exactly?