Escape From New York soundtrack reissued

20 Responses to “Escape From New York soundtrack reissued”

1. bbonyx says:

I was so blown away by the EFNY main theme when the movie came out that I remember my 13-year-old self recording it through the air from our family TV during the closing credits when it aired on HBO. It (like the theme from Airwolf and Knight Rider) was pure synth bliss for my adolescent self.

2. Navin_Johnson says:

Those chandeliers.

3. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Please stop hyping vinyl.  I haven’t yet filled the rec room with superb 1970s turntables, tonearms, cartridges and records purchased for pennies on the dollar.  Once I have my stash you can turn the hipsters loose to bid prices into the stratosphere.

• joeposts says:

we must delay the inevitable… HEY I HEAR CASSETTE TAPES ARE RILLY COOL, like way better than records, you can play them in a portable player and maybe hang strands of broken tape from the tips of your fixed-wheel bicycle handlebars, hipsters, because that’s cool eh?

• CognitiveDissident says:

I think a high-fidelity FLAC sounds better than vinyl, and vinyl is more time consuming to digitise for your portable player than a CD or MP3 etc.

On the other hand, if the future is anything like Snake’s dytopian energy-starved prison island, you could still play a record with a turntable of some sort, a needle and a cardboard cone, when you’re taking a break from rescuing President Pleasence.
      (Try doing that with a CD.)

4. Dave Lloyd says:

I’d vote the soundtrack of The Thing as the best of John Carpenter’s but none really disappoint.

5. flyoverland says:

Little known fact. Escape from New York was actually filmed in St. Louis. Our downtown actually looked like that in many places then. The fight scene was filmed in the then abandoned Union Station which was later rehabbed into a tourist area.

• Navin_Johnson says:

Yeah, East St. Louis, and it still looks pretty Escape From New Yorky..

• flyoverland says:

ESTL is so bad very few people live there anymore. anyone who can move has moved. North STL is about as bad. The Union Station rehab was a big deal for a few years, then started to wane.  I hear they may be re-doing it again. I’m waiting for the movie “Escape From St. Louis.” They will film it in the western suburbs.

6. Aaron Swain says:

The expanded Escape From NY soundtrack has been available on iTunes for quite a while, and it sounds great – no re-mastering needed. This vinyl edition is limited to 500 copies worldwide and is selling for $27 a pop. While I do love vinyl (and everything Carpenter), I think the electronic version is the better deal…. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/escape-from-new-york-original/id100959866

7. Navin_Johnson says:

Interesting, people are trying to get $50-$100 for the o.g. vinyl on ebay.  Good luck with that..

8. Cowicide says:

Oh man, some audiophiles are starting to go at it in this thread!

[cow makes popcorn.  puts bowl on floor for dog.  leaves room.  dog hears audiophiles, ignores popcorn bowl and leaves room.]

9. bobkat says:

Most folks overlook it, but many of Carpenter’s film scores were co-written/produced with Alan Howarth, an extremely talented guy.  Perhaps it’s just the politics of top billing, but everyone’s always raving about how great “Carpenter’s” music is, when in reality, most of it is “Carpenter/Howarth” music.