Video: Evolution of PC Games

12 Responses to “Video: Evolution of PC Games”

1. I recognize way too many of those games, and the CGA ones really bring back some childhood memories.

2. Ladyfingers says:

No Another World or Syndicate? Only the Deus Ex menu?

Otherwise, great.

3. Fang Xianfu says:

I could watch videos like this for hours (and I probably have)! It’s like watching the history of drawing, or writing, taking you from the first scratches in the dirt up to the best and most amazing things the modern world can do – but this format really brings home just how fast that evolution has been for video games. Awesome.

4. That was pretty cool. Recognized quite a few. It did seem a bit odd that there was no World of Warcraft (unless I missed it) considering how huge that game was and kinda still is. There was plenty of other Blizzard games so, I dunno.

5. kmoser says:

This is more of a hodge-podge than a chronology. It keeps jumping back to the same games it showed previously.

6. Purplecat says:

You can see, almost to the second,  the point at which things started sliding into the brown swamp littered with guns that makes up so much of today’s gaming landscape.

7. Warren Grant says:

There were a lot of images – far too many of which I recognized – but I don’t think I saw a single MMORPG in there, and forgive me that is what gaming has been to me at least for the past 10 years or more. I know I am not alone given all of the MMOs out there, someone else is playing a lot of them :P
    Still, a fun romp…

8. Chris Impicciche says:

I waited that whole time and I never heard “build more farms” as a sample

9. Scott Barrie says:

I think it would have been funny to throw Dwarf Fortress in near the end.

10. Ty Myrick says:

Good to see Monkey Island and a few others, but too many console hits and not enough intrinsically PC games. Unless I missed them, I didn’t see WOW, Myst, or The Oregon Trail. And when you go all the way back to DOS, nothing evokes those old green screen monitors like Sopwith Camel.