Excerpt from Homeland, the sequel to Little Brother

16 Responses to “Excerpt from Homeland, the sequel to Little Brother

1. Sagodjur says:

Don’t trust him – the naked man’s an agent provocateur from the FBI!

2. Madam Defarge says:

My 15-year-old, who decided he wanted to go to high school in his native SF, is reading Little Brother (I loved it!) for half of his — we hope — Balboa HS summer reading requirement.  I won’t have time to read Homeland until the move back from Connecticut is done, but I’m looking forward to it.  P.s., I hope he’ll cotton to   your project regarding how much $ schools waste on filters his senior year.

3. Josiah White says:

Uneducated publishing question: why is the book coming out in February? Is the book done or do they need to edit things, or wait for good timing? Honest question.

4. TWX says:

I really hope that the balloon isn’t being held by the method implied…

5. digi_owl says:

And the presence of a naked man is likely to kick up more fuss about the book than anything it says about surveillance and how to counteract it.

6. LinkMan says:

Do the quadcopters deliver burritos?

7. func says:

Looking forward to the book!  Little Brother was great, and drones + Burn = awesome!

8. cubby96 says:

For those of you who haven’t yet done so, click the link at the end of the post.  The part here is but a small portion of what was released today.

9. That was a cruel, cruel thing to do… I’m already hooked into the book, and need to wait another 7 months before I can finish it :’(

10. Kevin Baker says:

It strains my suspension of disbelief a little bit that, after all he did in Little Brother, Marcus couldn’t secure a full ride scholarship somewhere or other.

11. lumpygravy2 says:

Well meaning proponents of literacy say it is not important what youth read, it is more important that they read anything.

I disagree.  Teen lit and other age targeted genres belong in the Fantasy section.  Too many of this ilk suffer from the Wesley Crusher syndrome, where some teen saves the day where a world of adults fail.

The worst part is not the adults who purvey this pap, but the teens so gullible to waste their time on it when they could be reading real masterpieces like Dumas, Twain, or Doyle.

• Kevin Baker says:

Not many teens are going to read Twain or Dumas (voluntarily) without having read something more modern and age-targeted first.

And while teens do mor then their fair share in Little Brother, a major thematic point of the novel is that in the end, they can’t do much without adult allies.

• jason swick says:

There are so many things wrong with this statement I don’t even know where to begin…

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I disagree. Teen lit and other age targeted genres belong in the Fantasy section. Too many of this ilk suffer from the Wesley Crusher syndrome, where some teen saves the day where a world of adults fail….they could be reading real masterpieces like Dumas, Twain, or Doyle.

You think that D’artagnan, as written by Dumas, or Sherlock Holmes are more realistic that Wesley Crusher? You’re focusing on a tiny part of the reality continuum.

12. Sweet! I loved Little Brother – who am I kidding? I’ve genuinely loved every book of yours i’ve read Cory, especially “Someone comes to town. Someone leaves town.”. I’m so reading this as soon as I’m done with The Drowned World. (Shit, I really must get back to reading iq84….)

13. Wait, it’s not due out till February? DAMN YOU DOCTOROW!