33 Responses to “Sam Raimi swears the new Evil Dead is "gut-wrenching," really needs you to trust him”

1. Dan Hibiki says:

Yeah… scary is not the quality I would ever associate with Evil Dead. Hilarious, yes, but not scary.

• Slowermo says:

That’s what’s promising. It won’t be a rehash. It will be interesting if it’s in the same universe what with the deadites and tree attacks and maybe a possessed deer head yet really scary.

• Dan Hibiki says:

There is nothing unique or interesting in the Evil Dead setting or the deadites.

The only thing interesting is the character of Ash, the comedy and the quirky talented directing of Sam Raimi. Without that it’s just a hollow run of the mill horror movie.

2. ANSIS PURINS says:

I think the fans wanted to see Evil Dead 4 with Bruce Campbell as an olde dude ala Grand Torino.
    WITH SAM RAIMI DIRECTING.

If you think Bruce can’t portray and old Ash then check out the brilliant Bubba Ho Tep.

Sam is swimming in money so it just seems odd that this can’t be made.

Replacing the director and lead actor with a teen in an Evil Dead movie sounds all MTV-cash-grab-like.

That’s basically why the fans are worried.

• Donald Petersen says:

Yep yep yep a thousand times yep.  Sam oughta know better.  So should Bruce.  After the three existing Evil Deads and Cabin in the Woods, nobody needs to go near this kinda shit ever again in my lifetime.  They really shouldn’t, else they embarrass themselves and waste everyone’s time, money, and their own considerable effort.  Instead of remaking every goddamned horror movie from thirty years ago, would it kill someone to produce a brand-new one?  Does anyone seriously believe there hasn’t been a fresh idea since Wes Craven ran out of them during the Reagan Administration, and that there never will be another one?

Next thing you know, I’ll be fifty years old and some studio will blow nine figures remaking Neil Marshall’s perfectly spiffy Dog Soldiers with a troop of Eagle Scouts armed with lasers.

• *scary hand sticks out of ground*

“get out of my lawn”

• pKp says:

After all the shit films Raimi has done these last years, I’d say he’s the last guy I’d like see directing Evil Dead. Or any movie, for that matter.

• benher says:

“Bubba Ho Tep” This movie was 12 tons of awesome sauce barreling down the freeway. “Ho Tep” was my least favorite part, but Bruce and co. are all brilliant!

• Samuel Valentine says:

Actually, a pal of mine saw and talked with Bruce Campbell at some indie film showing a few years ago. As is always the case, someone asked Campbell it he’d star in another Evil Dead movie.

Campbell’s reaction was basically, “Did you see Indiana Jones 4? Do you actually want to see an old-fogey Ash running all over the place? I don’t.”

3. ocatagon says:

Who cares about scary? Evil Dead 2 is one of the funniest movies ever made. Bruce and Sam, go make more cool, funny movies.

4. Daemonworks says:

I could care less about scary, all I care about is whether it’ll be funny.
    I’m fairly confident that I have nothing to worried about on that front.

5. EeyoreX says:

For some reason I’ve been nurturing the fantasy of someday seeing Nicholas Brendon stepping into the role of Ash. Ah well, I guess a ED movie without Ash is the next best thing.

6. UncaScrooge says:

Remaking Evil Dead is like remaking a Jackson Pollack painting.  The only sane reason to carefully reproduce a copy is to sell the false copy as an original to suckers.

• Quiche de Resistance says:

Evil Dead 2 was basically a remake of Evil Dead, and 2 is by far the best of the series, IMO.

7. AnthonyI says:

It’s going to be like the Sublime with Rome version of the “Evil Dead”.  Not interested..

8. big ryan says:

im going to imagine that its going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD, so that if its even a little not terrible ill be amazed

if they get the style of the evil critters and the humor right ill be all about it, i have a feeling it will be a great big orgy of terrible CG that has no character or lasting appeal

9. benher says:

The mantra of the 2010s, GRITTY REBOOoooooooooooooooT!

10. mobobo says:

“Give me some sugar baby”

based on the joy, jumps and japes given me by ED series, Bubba and Drag Me To Hell  I’ll take the words of Raimi and Campbell  at face value.

11. IronEdithKidd says:

Seems like there was ample space left at the end of AoD for a 4th movie.  Ash doesn’t necessarily need to be in it, but Son of Ash or better, Daughter of Ash, yes.

• Donald Petersen says:

Now there’s an idea whose time has come… in fact it’s long overdue: a female Ash, or something like it.

12. zachstronaut says:

Drag Me to Hell was fantastic. Are none of the same people involved with this new Evil Dead?

13. How many other films have been remade twice?

Evil Dead 2 was a remake of the original, now this a second remake.

14. johnnylloydrollins says: