Datamancer modernizes the steampunk laptop

10 Responses to “Datamancer modernizes the steampunk laptop”

1. Jim Saul says:

Gorgeous as usual for his work.

Is that wood-grain square a functioning touchpad?

2. Kevin Baker says:

It’s pretty, but their keyboards make a lot more sense to me. Most likely, a keyboard will still be usable ten years from now. A laptop won’t.

3. Andrea says:

From the website pictures: even the vents are beautifully carved! Man… I wish I had that kind of money.

4. Jenz Seeger says:

meh, to retro for my taste. Guess I’ll have to wait a while for my Sandbenders…

5. malindrome says:

Still holding out for a laptop steam-generator-to-AC-adaptor mod.  That’s REAL steampunk.

6. Datamancer says:

@Jenz – I’ve actually been considering making a Sandbenders for a looooong time. Cory was nice enough to run the project past Gibson himself for me a while back and he provided some loose design direction. Hopefully one day soon I’ll finally be able to get to the project, recycled soda cans and all. I think I might try a Deco laptop first though.

• pKp says:

Wow, I’d totally buy one of these. Does it come preinstalled with a VR version of Venice and a Bowie clone improving my musical culture ?

7. Datamancer says:

@Jim, yes the trackpad is fully functional and very responsive. The button is laquered brass, as well.

• professor says:

If dictionaries wish to fully explain the meaning of the word “beautiful” they only need to show a photo of your laptop.  Well done!

8. eviladrian says:

Here’s my own, rather amateur, effort.  I couldn’t figure out how to get the keyboard and trackpad surround off, so they’re pretty clumsily set below the wood, but it looks nice and old-timey when it’s closed, with little brass fittings on the corners.