75 years ago, Amelia Earhart went missing—and the search for her continues

18 Responses to “75 years ago, Amelia Earhart went missing—and the search for her continues”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

My mother’s longtime companion used to hang out with (or possibly pester) her at the airport when he was a child and she was working on her plane.

2. Daneel says:

Whatever happened to Amelia Earhart?
    Who holds the stars up in the sky?
    Is true love just once in a lifetime?
    Did the captain of the Titanic cry?
    ——

I studied in the Amy Johnson building at Sheffield University for  a time as part of my Masters Degree…

3. Art says:

My Goodness!  She had a perfect face.

4. She’s on Howland Island with C. Eliot Friday. Everyone knows this. For years, we’ve known this. The Piddle-Diddle report made it plain in the 80s, I think.

•  We’ll never find her, that island keeps moving…

I worked for a documentary company called CPG in Studio City in 1997-1998 and was a P.A. on a terrible 2-hour “Mysterious Mysteries”-type program about Earhart’s last flight, c0-produced by a group called TIGHAR. Their scientific rigor left a lot to be desired (“Here we are digging on a South Seas isle …look, a shoe…this might have belonged to a woman! So Earhart was a spy after all! CASE CLOSED”).

For the skeptical reader without a lot of patience for conspiracies, I’d recommend Elgen Long’s “Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved” on Simon & Schuster. Long avoided conjecture and stuck to the available evidence, and his research brought him to an all-too-mundane and plausible conclusion: Earhart and Noonan were trying to make a gigantic journey to a tiny island via dead reckoning, and the odds were that they’d fail, and they failed. He has a pretty good idea of where to look for the plane, and a producer friend of mine spent several years trying to package a documentary with NatGeo to take some submersibles and actually go find the thing. But that kind of expedition is reeeeeeeeeeeeeally expensive, and what if they don’t find it? So I’m thinking that either James Cameron or Robert Ballard are going to have to get interested before anything happens.

5. Ladyfingers says:

This is why you should always travel with rich, pretty white women. The search lasts indefinitely.

6. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

Happy birthday old gal.

7. Preston Sturges says:

Who did the google image?  Kind of reminds me Robert Williams’ cartoons.

8. Ted Bautista says:

Searched for Amelia Earhart on google … still couldn’t find her.

9. I see nobody gives a damn about Fred,   Too bad really, he was a hell of a navigator

10. Ian Anthony says:

I remember Fred Noonan!

11. JeffreyMartin360Cities says:

I thought they had found some of the airplane parts recently…?

12. Jellodyne says:

OK, Google Doodle — so I see the initial G and the ending GLE on the wings, it looks like the round front of the plane is one of the O’s, which would locate the other O… Oh my!