Ayn Rand's Lord of the Rings

21 Responses to “Ayn Rand's Lord of the Rings”

1. Gekko_Gecko says:

Who or what is Ayn Rand?

Is this one of those “only understood by americans” things?

2. retchdog says:

on the other hand, there is this: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/unused-audio-commentary-by-howard-zinn-and-noam-chomsky-recorded-summer-2002-for-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-platinum-series-extended-edition-dvd-part-one

3. Gerald Mander says:

Boyett’s mashup of Ayn Rand and Star Trek Next Gen is a lot funnier: Fandom Shrugged.

4. Marky says:

“How Ayn Rand and L. Ron Hubbard Came Up With Their Big Ideas”

5. Ashen Victor says:

Frodo wrinkled his brow in thought. “Actually, I did have one or two more questions about the metallic alloy…”

Then I burst laughing.

6. Anders Märak Leffler says:

Fun idea, and I liked the alloy bit. Still, Atlas shrugged might be the easiest book in the world to write a pastiche of. Failing to do so is just lazy.

7. Michael Kolczynski says:

Except in Atlas Shrugged there are several long explanations about how using force to control others is evil.
    But hey, why even attempt to understand the thing you’re mocking?

• Brandon F says:

Thank you for giving me one of those “I’m going help myself by not trying to refute that comment” moments.  Ayn Rand would be proud of my selfishness.

• Nick says:

Keep telling yourself that everyone hates Ayn Rand because they don’t understand her.

• jhertzli says:

If Ayn Rand had written Lord of the Rings, Sauron would have destroyed the ring himself when he felt insufficiently appreciated. Another possible plot is that he would have been labeled an altruist for giving away 19 rings.

A Randian rewrite of The Silmarillion would have been even better. There’s an obvious resemblance between Fëanor and Randian heroes.

• First Last says:

Of course that only applies to direct physical force not market force because it’s not in my self-interest to get the shit beaten out of me for being an idiotic prick following a childish philosophy.

8. grandmapucker says:

Atlas Shrugged , dumb Hollywood style: http://silentcalradio.tumblr.com/post/4646251452/ok-how-about-a-cartoon-version