Documentary about an iconic drum machine

29 Responses to “Documentary about an iconic drum machine”

1. Donald Petersen says:

Don’t worry, Beschizza, I haven’t forgotten.  If I ever manage to dig up my old TR-505, it’s yours, baby.

2. Frédéric Eloy says:

looks (and sounds) great, i only wonder what skrillex has to do in this piece…

3. cj howeareya says:

Nothing sounds quite like an Eight. Oh. Eight.

4. radley says:

*cough* 909 *cough*

5. oasisob1 says:

I hope the entire documentary is like this.

• Franklin says:

ugh. really? I appreciate what they’re going for, but I could barely watch the whole trailer. And I love electronic music and avant-garde editing.

• I couldn’t agree more.  The editing makes the people being interviewed look ridiculous.  Who edited it, Tim & Eric?  I will be seeing the doc though when it comes out.

6. mzed says:

I love that the form mirrors the content.  Well done.

7. Pope Ratzo says:

I had the first 808 that came to the Chicago area.  Used to have to draw knob diagrams to save settings between songs, so it would take about a minute and a half between songs, which sort of slowed down the sets.  We learned to do long intros sans drums so I could spin the dials for the next song and if I made a mistake it was disastrous.

But it sounded so good you could practically just start it and go have a cigarette and people would dance at the Lucky  Number, Exit or O’Banions.

Had one knocked off a table about 2 hours before a show. Dead.  Called a music store out in Roselle and drove like a maniac to get a replacement.  Only problem is the tempo calibration was way off so everything was about 20% too fast.  Doing live electronic music in those days was really a high-wire act.

8. RKTR ♫soundcloud.com/rktr says:

I love my 808.  Boomp  boomp  boomp.  Call me a snob but the sampled sound just isn’t the same as the real thing on its own channel.

9. Manel says:

I’m looking forward to this doc.

10. Mister44 says:

“Everybody needs an 808!”

11. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Big Black used a Roland drum machine.  Steve Albini would have the band stop and yell “drum solo!”.

12.  The 808 was an instant success. I think the story of the failure in its own time Roland TB 303 Bassline is more interesting. Here is a documentary narrated by the same dude who did the “Amen Break” documentary.

13. chris jimson says:

Am I the only person in the world more infatuated with the Roland CR models like the CR-77 and CR-5000?   I like that old corny Wurlitzer organ sound.

14. Preston Sturges says:

On the PBS history of rock series, they interviewed the early hip-hop bands and asked who had influeced them A couple of the mentioned Kraftwerk (!!!!) for their pioneering use of drum machines.

15. robuluz says:

Please let QuestLove speak!

16. Thorzdad says:

Roland gear of that era was amazing. I still love my little SH-101. Monophonic goodness.

17. blearghhh says:

My brother worked a coop placement at a music store in 1990 or so, and they gave him an old TR-808 that was lying around that nobody wanted.

Boy oh boy that thing was fun fiddling around with.

I think he sold it a few years back for a considerable amount of money.

18. Aaron Swain says:

The TR-808 definitely deserves its own documentary, but I hope the final film is not remotely as horrible as that trailer.

19. donovan acree says:

Cuz the 808 kick drum makes the girlies get dumb

20. show me says:

Drum machines are the scourge of good music.

21. Robert Holmen says:

There’s a great feature length documentary (c. 1998?) about a bass line device from the same era. But I forget the name.