12 Responses to “Famous "star cradle" might have been destroyed long before we ever discovered it”

1. zotlerg says:

I thought they are called ‘Star Nurseries’ – which seems a more visceral and expressive.
    That’s all.  ; )

2. Christopher says:

Every time I look through a telescope, or even see a picture of some distant object like “The Pillars of Creation” I remember that I’m not seeing it as it is now, but rather as it was long ago. I am literally looking into the past–and that’s not one of those misuses of the word “literally” that would get me slapped in English class.

And every time I have to stop and steady myself because I never get over how fantastic it is.

3. atteSmythe says:

I find the sentiment that we’re viewing things as they were X,000 years ago to be frustrating. Except for certain cases where astronomers are specifically looking to observe conditions from a time very different from ours, I don’t see how it matters.

Since we cannot break the speed of light, I find it much preferable to consider that events are happening as their photons reach us. It’s literally impossible to observe them at a later state, so don’t let it get you down. If anything, we have the ability to watch the past (or at least certain pasts) unfold in real time, and that’s pretty cool.

• Ashley Yakeley says:

Right. It’s not even particularly meaningful to talk about “now” for for events outside our causality cones (the regions of spacetime that have affected us and we will affect from here and now).

4. Grok says:

Catastrophic astrophysical events are great photo-ops.

5. timquinn says:

They are not really columns and they can not topple. That is all I wanted to say.
    -Mister Obvious

6. enterthestory says:

Well d’uh! 6000 years ago! Pillars of creation, people! Does nobody read Genesis? More accurate readings will prove they were toppled in October 4004 BC, and cherubim and a flaming sword were definitely involved.

And 7000 light years away? See 2 Peter 3:8. 7 days creation = 7000 years, minus the 6000 years specified leaves the seventh day where God rested. Cf book of Enoch and 7000 years of world history, pillars of the temple of heaven in Revelation 3:12… this stuff pretty much writes itself. ;)

7. mockerynj says:

The Space Taliban strikes again

8. soylent_plaid says:

This just means that in about a thousand years, astronomers are in for a hell of a show.

9. Ryan Lenethen says:

Just set the PVR?

10. pebird says:

Time is a little nuts, too.