Matthew Weiner on Elisabeth Moss leaving Mad Men: Why would that happen?

18 Responses to “Matthew Weiner on Elisabeth Moss leaving Mad Men: Why would that happen?”

1. RKTR ♫soundcloud.com/rktr says:

Bummer, she was my favorite character, had teh coolest portrayal of an artist on the rise against a sexist workforce

2. timwindsor says:

It would be much more satisfying a conclusion to the series for that agency to be Olsen/Draper.

3. redrobot25 says:

SPOILERS JESSE FUCKING CHRISTO SPOILERS

• greenberger says:

Yeah, no shit- thanks a lot, resident boingboing pop culture junkie blogger! Not all of us have time to watch every damn thing on tv as soon as it comes out. This is the only thing on TV I bother with, and I’m about halfway through the last season.  No, really- thanks a lot for assuming we’re all like you!

4. colin bennett says:

yeah you should really add a spoiler tag to this. just gave it away for those of us who haven’t finished the season :(

5. machinelf says:

I love not having TV, yet watching a great series on Netflix or DVD. Except for shit like this.

6. royaltrux says:

I’d be kinda bummed if I saw this and hadn’t finished season five. But seriously, just when can we talk about a season that is over or a movie that is out?

Ketchup!

7. Rich Keller says:

Please tell me she’s  leaving them for McMann and Tate.

8. momus_98 says:

A testament to the quality of a show’s writing and production when people fear that their favorite *character* leaving a fictional ad agency means that the real actor is leaving the show itself.

“Mad Men” is indeed a brilliant show.

9. Scott Fecher says:

I hope she does more headache commercials. She’s pretty hot in those.

10. malindrome says:

“Everyone was like, ‘I guess January Jones is off the show,’ and I was like, ‘Why would she be?’ I never understood that.”

Because she’s a terrible actress?

• SedanChair says:

Everything I’ve said about the mental states of squirrels applies to the mental states of January Jones

• penguinchris says:

I was going to say, I was hoping she’d disappear from the show immediately once they got divorced. Almost ruined the show by focusing so much on her, dragging out that boring and pointless side-plot for three entire seasons. They took the time that they had been showing us the creative process and the ad pitches – the most fun part of the show – and used it all to show us Betty Draper’s boring nonsense.

I wouldn’t have minded if she showed up occasionally to ruin things for Don, like once or twice a season at most – that would be interesting and effective. It seems like finally we’re at the point where that’s the most we’ll see of her.

Meanwhile, my favorite character was Sal, who was unceremoniously dumped and never heard from again.

As for Peggy, I was surprised to see her leave the company but it completely makes sense – they’ve mostly ignored her character since the first couple seasons. If anything, her leaving the company should allow for giving her a lot more screen time than she has been getting, like it did for Betty Draper – except this time we actually like the character who will get more screen time.

11. Erik Denning says:

This isn’t really relevant to the article, but I want to share that I actually know Matt Weiner and his family (I taught most of his kids). I’m happy to say he’s a very nice, funny, down to earth guy and he is not at all pretentious and hasn’t let success get to his head. If you weren’t told, you’d never think this was the guy behind Madman. I noticed once, in their old house, that his various Emmies and other awards were clumped together on an out of the way shelf in the living room, easily unnoticed. I’m just a boring old teacher, but he’s always happy to chat with me as though I was an equally important human. I like that. Somehow though, I still haven’t gotten around to seeing Madmen or The Sopranos (Matt used to write for those)

12. Stewart Smith says:

Thanks for the SPOILER ALERT heading, really helpful for those of us not living in the USA and thus have absolutely *NO LEGAL WAY* to actually keep up to date with TV. Thanks.

13. Ian Morgan says:

Some of your readers are in desolate foreign outposts like Australia and might be a bit behind on your cultural imperialistically awesome telenovelas like “Mad Men”.  So it’s a bit shitty when we get fed a big, fat fucking spoiler like this one.  Thanks dude.

14. Sure, she’ll be back, but only in little dribbles of screen time.

Weiner doesn’t have enough time in his 48 minutes of show time to fit in enough of the Don and SCDP story. Now he has to try and squeeze in Peggy and her new agency’s backstory too? Not gonna happen.

No, she’ll wind up like Betty after the divorce. A few minutes every few episodes. Slowly winding into obliviousness as the show nears its end.

• jimh says:

Or the focus will shift away from her for a time, and she will be lured back to the agency because of a turn of events. Like, maybe she doesn’t enjoy working for Chaugh as much as she thought she would? Misses Draper’s way of working? Anyway, you see what happened with Joan, she came back… so it’s not impossible.