Enthralling Books: Mysteries, by Knut Hamsun

8 Responses to “Enthralling Books: Mysteries, by Knut Hamsun”

1. Very nice review. I think I’ll check it out. Thanks!

2. Guillaume Francois says:

Hamsun’s early writing is absolutely fantastic. Also well worth reading: “The Hunger”, “Pan” and, “Victoria”, my personal favourite.

3. Dave X says:

Yes, “Hunger” IS an amazing read. Probably my favorite, but “Growth of the Soil” is also especially good.

4. s2redux says:

Congrats on discovering Hamsun! He was a modernist well before modernism existed; his influence on prominent 20th-century authors can’t be overstated. In a similar vein, Mysteries is as fine a catalog of schizophrenia as any produced by Bleuler or Pick or those who followed. If you’re reading English translations, IMO Robert Bly’s Victoria reigns supreme for that title. Hunger (1890) makes Kafka look like a 30 year Franz-come-lately ;-) Most of Hamsun’s magic lies in the four books mentioned here, but Wanderer Plays on Muted Strings and The Women at the Pump are also worth a read.

5. DSarge001 says:

He is great, I haven’t read him for a long time but “Wayfarers” was my fave, if yr from the Scandinavian North American areas you should def check it out, it’s yr Grandparents story. I  think Hamsun won the Nobel for “Growth of the Soil” but Mysteries was my next favourite, such an odd disjointed feel. I wonder if Clint Eastwood read this before he made “High Plains Drifter”, for me it’s like a cowboy version of this book. Little people and all.

6. DSarge001 says:

I just looked up Wayfarers and found out it’s the first of a trilogy – so some new reading for me.

7. grimc says:

Hunger and Growth of the Soil are two of my favorite books. Sucks that Hamsun loved the Nazis. Great writer.