Enthralling Books: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon

16 Responses to “Enthralling Books: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon”

1. Sean Mangan says:

+1 – I heartily recommend this wonderful book. I spent a few nights up way too late because I couldn’t put it down.

2. McDrunk says:

Great book.  I read it around the time it was first released.  Thank you for reminding me I need to pick it up again.

3. jackrabbitslim says:

This was the first Pulitzer-winner I read and I honestly dreaded it a little. Kind of thought I might be “taking my medicine” and reading a book I “should be” reading. And holy moly was I wrong!
    This book is great but also- REALLY goddamn fun! Adventure! Sex! Field expedient aircraft repairs!
    Fabulous.Chabon is now one of my favorite writers.

Also, if you like noir -at all- get The Yiddish Policemen’s Union right fucking now. You will thank me.

4. Reed Savory says:

I couldn’t agree more.  This is a fantastic book, and well deserving of the Pulitzer it won.

For those into comic books (like myself) after you’ve ready the novel there’s a series of “The Escapist” comics that Chabon collaborated on that are also a heck of a lot of fun.

I also agree with jackrabbitslim, “The Yiddish Policemen’s Union” is Jewish Noir at it’s finest.

5. Flarn Buckholter says:

I got through 50 pages before I had to stop.  Chabon’s books are like putting on a temp tattoo and etching around it with battery acid.

6. Pink Frankenstein says:

Such a good book it hurts.

7. kurt kress says:

I’m glad that people enjoyed the book but I couldn’t stand it. The book was a chore to read and I finally had to put it down. Chabon is to in love with his words and his own writing to the point that it gets in the way of story telling. At one point he takes a page and a half to tell you that the character walked across the room.  Sorry, couldn’t finish it.

8. Brainspore says:

I hope to see a movie adaptation some day. I think a good filmmaker could have a lot of fun with the sequences where the lives of the characters begin to blur with the stories in the Escapist comics, maybe something akin to Tarsem Sing’s “The Fall” (a gorgeous and underrated film IMHO).

9. Tynam says:

Yes, I love this book because it’s so brilliantly self-contradictory.  It’s a novel about the great early Jewish comic book authors that doesn’t mention any of them (sort of). It’s a Holocaust novel that doesn’t contain the Holocaust.  It’s a WWII army novel with no fighting.  It’s a McCarthy era novel that’s not really about that.

It’s not always brilliant prose, but it’s always a brilliant world.

10. MarkV says:

Maybe it would’ve been enthralling at half its actual length (639 pages). As is, I can’t agree that it’s enthralling. Several parts were a slog. As a lifelong comic fan, I was disappointed.

Incidentally, this may be the only mainstream novel to describe the “flavor” of a character’s rectum.

11. Tim Nolan says:

One of my favorites, and the first to mind when someone asks for book recommendations. I truly believe it is the Great American Novel, covering immigration, invention, comic books, WWII and the creation of suburbia, all huge parts of the armature of the collective mythology of the United States.

12. I loved Kavalier & Clay but I couldn’t finish The Yiddish Policeman’s Union.  I can, however, recommend the latter as a cure for insomnia.

• Steve Taylor says:

I haven’t read Kavalier & Clay but loved The Yidddish Policeman’s Union so much I can’t shut up about it. Does that mean I’ll hate Kavalier & Clay? We’ll see…

13. Kaleberg says:

Here’s another vote for Kavalier & Clay. It’s a wonderful yarn. It really evokes the era. I’ll also put in a vote for the Yiddish Policeman’s Union, and if you want a simple adventure movie, try Gentlemen of the Road.