"We engage in all sorts of behavior to avoid others, pretending to be busy, checking phones, rummaging through bags, looking past people or falling asleep, (Kim said.) Sometimes we even don a 'don't bother me face' or what's known as the 'hate stare'.""Strangers on a bus: Study reveals lengths commuters go to avoid each other"
The best advice from Kim's fellow passengers was:
• Avoid eye contact with other people
• Lean against the window and stretch out your legs
• Place a large bag on the empty seat
• Sit on the aisle seat and turn on your iPod so you can pretend you can't hear people asking for the window seat.
• Place several items on the spare seat so it's not worth the passenger's time waiting for you to move • them.
• Look out the window with a blank stare to look crazy
• Pretend to be asleep
• Put your coat on the seat to make it appear already taken
• If all else fails, lie and say the seat has been taken by someone else
(CC-licensed image by Mr Novelty)