Memory card leads to long-lost camera's owner

14 Responses to “Memory card leads to long-lost camera's owner”

1. Max says:

A bit of glass cleaner and a quick polish and that camera will be as good as new. On eBay anyway.

2. McDrunk says:

There’s someone on Reddit right now on the same quest.

3. invictus says:

*sigh*
    Holy grail? Really? Mr. Alexander, I’m pretty sure you meant “Rosetta Stone.”

4. _Engineer says:

It’s not difficult to imagine “why?”. Once the curiosity is peaked, the game is on.
    Like when it took me a full day of Googling to find out that the car on the Beastie Boys’ “Ill Communication” album jacket is a ’62 Pontiac Catalina convertible.
    Totally useless information tough…

5. I’d feel really bad for anyone that went to that much effort to return my memory card.  Chances are it’d be full of dud photo’s and the odd ‘dog sunbathing in amusing position’ shot.

6. penguinchris says:

CF cards have blank lines on them for you to write your contact information on; all mine have my e-mail in permanent ink. Gets harder with SD cards though.

7. Ray Perkins says:

Did he try http://www.stolencamerafinder.com ? I put an image of my contact info on my cameras, and lock the image so I don’t accidentally delete it.

8. Toby says:

My family found a camera.  We chased down several false leads from the photos until we tracked down the family that had lost it (the fruitful clues: 2 first names on 2 birthday cakes, a crowd shot of a football game and a logo on a cheer-leading uniform). About a month after my sister sent the camera back, we got a note that the dad in the family just died — they were happy to have the pictures because it had all the photos of the last year of his life, including the last vacation they had together.

There were a lot more amazing details to this story.  We never thought to contact a newspaper, though — maybe we should have.