Slicing vegetables with thrown playing cards

37 Responses to “Slicing vegetables with thrown playing cards”

1. Dan Century says:

The obvious comment is “men, don’t let this guy catch you in bed with his wife”.

2. slippy0 says:

Oddjob?

3. show me says:

Ricky Jay is one cool dude.

• TooGoodToCheck says:

My first experience of him was in Deadwood, which continues to be one of my all time favorite shows.  And in it, he was excellent.

• show me says:

Wow, I have heard of that show but have never seen it and didn’t know he was in it. I’ll have to catch it somewhere.

4. ZombieOtaku says:

‘ey, it look like dat Gambit got some competition, eh?

5. RedShirt77 says:

“Oh, the news is coming to film me practicing  my cucumber slicing trick.  I better change into my going out underwear.”

I bet if he spent as much time on like a career or something he could probably afford pants.

6. BBNinja says:

This was debunked on a mythbusters episode w Ricky Jay. They clocked a card at 25mph and it failed to break human skin which is a lot less thicker than that watermelon.

7. DoctorG says:

The TSA announced today that playing cards are no longer permitted on flights.

8. dayhat says:

Cucumber salad again mother?

9. Deidzoeb says:

Getting the card to cut into a watermelon is impressive, but it looks more like shoved playing cards, not thrown. If I was dungeon mastering this, I would call it a melee weapon, not a ranged attack. Use Strength modifier instead of Dex.

10. Philip Bock says:

If you happen to have a copy of Ricky Jay’s book Cards As Weapons hang onto it. They’re rare and quite collectible. Hard to find even the paperback priced less than $250.

11. Ian G says:

This skill was one of the secret challenges of the completely awesome Japanese game show of the 90′s called Happy Family Plan.  A guy shows up at your house and dad has one week to perfect a skill and demonstrate it flawlessly in front of a live audience. Slicing a cucumber with a card was one of the best episodes…

12. Gerald Mander says:

What a wuss — he’s throwing nearly point-blank. Ricky Jay would do it from 20 feet. I learned card throwing many years ago by watching Jay on (!) Merv Griffin & got to where I could hit things from across a room, though I never had the serious speed & accuracy Jay achieved. It’s also cool how much distance you can get from a card if you throw it right.

13. sarahnocal says:

Silcing?

14. mmmwright says:

I had the privilege of watching Ricky Jay do some of this sort of thing in a friend’s living room several years ago.  Utterly astounding.

15. danimagoo says:

This seems like a really inefficient way to slice vegetables. A knife would be much easier.

16. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

I would just like to know the advantage a woman card thrower gets from being nude as illustrated in his book

17. CTG says:

“Cucumbers don’t fight back.”

18. PlutoniumX says:

We learned to do this back in the 90s when I picked up a large box of  comic cards from the baseball card place for $5 during a sidewalk sale.  Turned out to be almost all junkers, and like 70% of them were Looney Toon Upper Deck cards.  That was a fun year.