51 Responses to “Daniel Day-Lewis completely disappears into Abraham Lincoln and it's kind of crazy”

1. hypnosifl says:

He looks amazing; it’ll be interesting to see what he does with the voice. As the article here discusses, his voice was said to be in the higher range for men, not the baritone favored by a lot of actors doing Lincoln.

2. Does he do any vampire hunting in this one?

3. Brainspore says:

Lincoln, which is coming out November 9, will follow the country’s beloved 16th president in the days leading up to his assassination.

It should be noted that he was hardly universally loved prior to his assassination. The vitriol that Romney supporters have for Obama is relatively tame compared to how a large segment of the U.S. populace felt about Lincoln. All that changed with the assassin’s bullet.

4. thecardcheat says:

Remember when politicians made decisions for the good of the country.

5. MrWoods says:

Four score and seven years ago, I drank your milkshake, I drank it up.

6. Jacob Goodpasture says:

Sadly, this isn’t an adaptation of Gore Vidal’s fantastic novel.

Vidal insisted that DKG cribbed the idea for her book from his novel, which centered around the rivals in his war cabinet.

• Brainspore says:

True or not, no writer can claim ownership over historical fact.

• Timothy Krause says:

Vidal who claimed that the worst thing to happen to Lincoln, aside from Booth, was to be written about by Carl Sandburg, lol.

7. Jim Huinink says:

Anyone else expecting video?

8. Little says:

Wow, Oscar predictions based on a photo? Is this a Dreamworks press release?

And you miss the fun fact that the awards season is in fact shaping up to be a “presidential contest” rivaling Obama vs. Romney, if the buzz is true — Lincoln vs. FDR!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Wow, Oscar predictions based on a photo?

An unheard of idea!

• penguinchris says:

You can at least guarantee a nomination for makeup/costumes/etc. Even if the film is terrible, the makeup and costume design on display here is amazing and lots of lackluster films over the years have gotten Oscars for things like that.

Plus, you know, you can count on any Spielberg film getting a handful of nominations no matter what, and considering who else is involved in this film it’s a very safe prediction that the nominations will quickly come rolling in.

9. johnyaya says:

I heard this movie didn’t focus test well so they had to change the ending.

• Mighty Blowhole says:

HA! So now, with Lee’s bullet-riddled corpse in the foreground, he + U.S. Grant ride off into the sunset with Jeff Davis’ head swinging from the pommel of the horse they’re sharing?

• chenille says:

I am not quite sure where this is originally from, but it seems appropriate.

• rtresco says:

Related to your comment, here is the best (read: worst) comment I’ve seen around this photo today, posted on another board:
      “Spoiler alert – someone gets shot in a theater. Are they going to have to delay this film like Gangster Squad? I’m not sure about this film. Every American should already know the history of Lincoln. Maybe seeing it on screen will do something for someone, but if you already know everything that occurs, it is hard to get excited about this (except maybe for Lewis’ performance). ”

So there you have it – history movies and biopics are pretty much useless, per this individual. What’s the point when you know what’s going to happen? Boggles the mind that Titanic movie made any money back.

10. Jesse Turnbull says:

Here is an  image of the new DDL penny coming out in November:

11. Cam Di Nunzio says:

Here in Richmond, VA (where a large part of this movie was filmed) got a glimpse of him several months back, and even just sitting in a local restaurant, he already looked to be living the part:   http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/top-features/2011/nov/30/7/daniel-day-lewis-spotted-ar-1504500/

12. noahmckinnon says:

Seeing DDL as Lincoln would almost make me swallow the Spielbarf. As an aside, Gore Vidal’s Lincoln is a very enjoyable book.

13. Teller says:

With Babe Ruth in a wig as Mary Todd Lincoln.

14. Kevin Carson says:

“Completely disappears into Lincoln”? From the title I had visions of Ren Hoek climbing up into the Lincoln Memorial’s nose.

15. semiotix says:

LINCOLN: Emancipaaaaation! Emancipation, Jefferson, you boy. Emancipated dry. I’m so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that’s a straw, you see? You watching? And my straw reaches acroooooooss the Mason-Dixon line, and starts to drink your milkshake. I… drink… your… milkshake! I DRINK IT UP!

JEFFERSON DAVIS: Don’t bully me, Lincoln!

LINCOLN: Did you think your song and dance and your superstition would help you, Jefferson? I am the Third Revelation! I am who the Lord has chosen!

16. Art says:

There’s nobody better than DDL :)

17. lafave says:

Goodwin overstates the case for the “team of rivals”  But it sounds good in theory.

18. thecardcheat says:

I heard Lincoln was an excellent wrestler, but would not have made a good boxer … (get ready for it)… he couldn’t take a shot to the head.

19. Mike Harris says:

He was my seventh cousin, five times removed.