37 Responses to “Russian synchronized swimmers performed to the theme from Suspiria to the delight of Olympic horror nerds”

1. wysinwyg says:

Ha, I remember catching Suspiria on daytime TV one time.  The film didn’t do much for me but I sat through the whole movie wondering “Who the hell did the soundtrack for this thing?!”  The Goblins were (are?) freakin’ sweet.

• Beanolini says:

It’s ‘Goblin‘, not ‘The Goblins’.  And yes, they have reformed. I saw them a couple of years ago, performing alongside clips of the films they’ve scored. Which was nice.

• Nick Dimmock says:

Potential confusion here as they were credited as The Goblins for Dawn of the Dead. I remember noticing their name cropping up repeatedly when I was watching VHS nasties as a teenager –  first with Deep Red, which really made an impression, and then in Dawn (with the slight name change, but obviously the same group), and then in various other films here and there. I had no access to their music outside of the movies until many years later, but I never forgot about them.

2. Christopher says:

What a coincidence. I just watched Suspiria for the first time this last weekend, although that film and I have a very long history, going back to when the original trailer gave me nightmares for years. Until I watched it I had no idea Jessica Harper was in it. What would be even more awesome is if another team did a routine with music from Shock Treatment.

• Dr_Wadd says:

I’m guessing you mean the Richard O’Brien Shock Treatment. I could see Denton USA working quite well for that.

• Christopher says:

That’s the one. I think it would be hilarious. Or maybe they could do Little Black Dress.

• Es See says:

Yeah there just isn’t that many Jessica Harper films before she went all crazy! lol But yes you hit the nail on the head!!! hahaha Without the wonderment of Suspiria, shit films like the saw series would have had nothing to rip off and regurgitate. And well as for Shock Treatment, we all know that Richard O’Brien made some iconic cult staples. He did have an awesome recent role in Night Train. Cross-dressing as can be expected but just a disguise for the sinister O’Brien we’re all familiar with!!!!

Good call on LITTLE BLACK DRESS!!!!

3. Slowermo says:

I’d like to see their interpretation of a John Carpenter score.

• Donald Petersen says:

That got me to thinking (even though it’s Morricone, not Carpenter) that it might be good fun to see them do The Thing, if they’re able to pull it off without sinking like stones to the bottom.

4. theophrastvs says:

does anyone else ever wonder how synchronized anything became an olympic sport?
    does anyone else ever wonder how synchronized anything became an olympic sport?

• One person synchronized swimming was an olympic sport for a few years back in the 1800′s. Think about that for a minute…

• Jack Jaffee says:

They had one person Synchro in 1992.  They killed it the next year.  This is the one time I want to see it the synchro.  If they do snow cross and snow half pipe then, Skateboard and BMX half pipe and  street should be in the olympics too.  If boxing and Judo is in then why not MMA?

5. Mighty Blowhole says:

Please, someone, get Jerry Goldsmith’s ‘Ave Satani’ from The Omen into the hands of their swim coach before the next meet!

6. well, that made my day

7. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

Amazing strength and breath control. Solid gold. Throw Jim Carrey in with them and it would be hilarious.

8. Boundegar says:

Dainty?  Graceful?  I’ve never watched synchronized swimming before, but they looked like killbots to me.  Is this a typical performance?  The swimmers were far more chilling than the music.

9. MollyMaguire says:

The horrific part is that synchronized swimming is still an Olympic sport.

10. Derek Prowse says:

Ironically, this is the first time synchronized swimming has not made me want to start a dance school in Italy and murder it’s occupants.

11. Ross Gash says:

Maybe it should have it’s own stadium.

12. Christopher says:

I still have hopes that someday Men’s Synchronized Swimming will finally be recognized as an Olympic sport.

13. Dean Putney says:

I have chills. That was really creepy.

14. franko says:

keep in mind that they are sculling while they have their legs above water — they aren’t allowed to touch the bottom of the pool. i find their control just amazing. and vaulting each other without touching the bottom…. how do they DO that?? : O

15. dolo54 says:

I think that was Dario Argento’s finest movie. The sets, colors and lighting are so amazing. And of course the soundtrack makes it. I’ve never been creeped out by synchronized swimming before, that was super creepy, like a demon infested pool from hell! What a great choice.

16. Rickenbacker4001 says:

I think someone should use the soundtrack from Death Wish 2 and 3. Masterpieces.

17. feminismisfun says:

from the link to the results: “The Russian duo were in a class of their own with a haunting routine inspired by horror films Surprisia and Sleepy Hollow.”

18. blueelm says:

I’m warped. I just find it super cute. Love that movie though. All my life  I will lust for a neon peacock lamp.

19. Theranthrope says:

Incidentally, if you never seen the movies or heard this particular track before, through the magic of Youtube, here it is for your listening pleasure:

(watch it before it gets TOS’ed and taken down)

20. The water in the pool should be red and the lighting more dramatic. ;)

Also what’s with all the hatred for synchronized swimming? There’s some serious skill on display there!

21. taghag says:

amazing strength and stamina!

did anyone ever do a synch-swim to the theme from jaws?