Photo gallery of Mars landing scenes, on both planets

20 Responses to “Photo gallery of Mars landing scenes, on both planets”

1. retepslluerb says:

I don’t get it. NBC got flack for time-shifting the Olympics, Iran and Saudi Arabia the same during the soccer championship but people cheer, when NASA broadcasts the landing with a 14 minutes window!

• Xeni Jardin says:

You’re joking, right? There’s a 14 minute delay in signal return from Mars.

• Timothy Krause says:

That’s what they want you to believe.

/joke, great happy face in #13, must have been an incredible atmosphere.

• retepslluerb says:

Humbug! They obviously had something to hide.

Also, Mars is in space! How can there be grabity in space?!?

Plus, I want to enroll in Louisiana.

• Xeni Jardin says:

I bet you don’t believe in set theory, either.

• retepslluerb says:

On the contrary. I firmly subscribe to the theory that not scarifying to Set leads to storms and the snake-God Apophis killing Ra!

•  I would be inclined to place set theory in the set of all groundless and fallacious theories, yes.  But can the set  of all theories regarding sets be both groundless AND contained in a set (that contains itself)?  You see where the problems arise?  Better to abandon this specious quicksand altogether.

• pizzicato says:

I blame Jebus, he made the world his way, we just live in it!

2. bobbcorr says:

I’m still stewing over how long it takes starlight to reach our planet.  Talk about signal delay.

3. Brie says:

I hope NASA also equipped Curiosity with Sees’ Candies and Famous Amos cookies, you know  just in case…..”just in case.”

4. aj says:

Fantastic.  And I noticed the wristband too – nicely done.

5. Jim Saul says:

Those expressions are the perfect antidote to the weird “does anyone care about Mars” trolls that seem to pop up on occasion.

6. mindysan33 says:

Xeni- can I say your hair is looking adorable like that….  Glad to see it’s growing back.  Hope you are doing well!

7. So awesome to see so much joy and optimism in those faces. Quite a telling contrast to the post about the public schools teaching about dragons and such. Go Curiosity!!

8. MarcVader says:

“Wild thing, you make my heart sing!” ;) Such a cool picture, Xeni.

9. auntialias says:

Awesome set of images. I videoed the NASA TV feed (with audio of crowd reactions) at 1 of the two JPL off-lab Curiosity landing events (for JPL/Curiosity staff and families+friends). I finally watched it last night, and am considering editing it a bit toward the weekend and uploading so you can see the jubilation at Pasadena City College as it happened. (Boyfriend worked on the landing radar).