Watch a spider molt

20 Responses to “Watch a spider molt”

1. For the love of god use a tripod!

Awesome video, and perfect soundtrack choice, so kudos on every other front.

An old work buddy used to keep tarantulas and brought in an old exoskeleton for us to marvel over.  It was like an empty carbon copy of his spider, especially interesting as it was orange and furry.

2. snagglepuss says:

Whassiz the little vampire song? I MUST have that, for my Halloween broadcast in a few months.

3. Christopher says:

I’ve always loved watching and identifying different varieties of spiders around my house. In particular every year there’s at least one A. cavatica (who I name Charlotte, of course) who builds a web on the old TV aerial still on my roof. And I always wonder if they pick up signals.

Anyway, all the time I’ve spent watching those spiders I’ve never seen one molt. This is fantastic.

4. robcat2075 says:

I gave up after a minute, the shakeycam was too much.  If she had uploaded that to YouTube i believe they offer a stabilization tool for such occasions.

5. Carpeteria says:

Shame the last part where it was smashed by a shoe was edited out.

6. grimc says:

Now that we know their weakness we can kill them.

7. zdislaw says:

Beautiful…and I will never sleep again.

8. Josh Gooderham says:

I was all like, man anyone can be a nature photographer now. And a producer and broadcaster too! That’s crazy. What an incredible world we’re living in where anyone can…

Then the vampire song kicked in and I wanted to run screaming into David Attenborough’s arms. Oh hipsters…

9. relawson says:

I’m a little embarrassed that I didn’t know spiders molted! I’ve watched quite a few edutainment shows about them, too!

10. schadenfreudisch says:

go see the spider show at AMNH in nyc.  it’s pretty sweet.

11. princessalex says:

If you want to see an incredible molting (with no shakycam), check out this Spider Crab shedding its exoskeleton:

12. Our first and at the time (until our first cat surpassed it) longest-lived pet was a female Mexican Brown Tarantula.  Watching her molt was like a ballet — the top of her thorax would come off and she’d kind of roll over on her side to pull t he rest of herself out of the carcass.  Very careful, very delicate.

And I frequently wished we had a good enough camera to catch the dulcet jewel tones of her magnificent new carapace once she finished, dried off and stood up for the first time all anew.  She was with us for almost 15 years and died in mid-molt.  Her name was Shelob, though the Doc kept trying to change it every time she molted.

Nowadays my iPhone would have done the job, but I have cats. And one that is terribly predatory and smart — cage latches sufficient to keep a tarantula in would only get it et in a horribly nasty fashion.